If you have a nice system why do you really need room treatments?

Yeah you may need an absorption panel if your room is completely open, ie. No rug or furniture, ie just lonely single chair. But if your system can't cut it in any room then it's a system problem and you should be able to discern a good system regardless of the room.  Unless you put it on the roof of your apartment building but the Beatles seemed to have survived that effort

I think people go nuts with all this absorption acoustical room treatment stuff and it looks kind of awful.  Once in a while you see a really cool looking diffuser panel and I would definitely want one. But to have a system that works really well without any of the acoustical panel distractions is a wonderful thing.

emergingsoul

Not terribly long ago, there was a thread posted in "misc" by @calvinj pertaining to this very subject. The question was basically "can a good system sound good in a bad room?"

And I would say that basically it can, but I have no doubt that it would sound better in a good room. But I don’t see how a good room can make a bad system sound good.

I am also kind of getting out of the reading on this site that near-field set up starts to take the room out of it, and maybe that’s my saving grace, because with good source material I do feel my "good"system" (which is relative) sounds good (also relative) in a bad room.

I wish I had a better listening room.  If you have a good room you are blessed. Makes it a whole lot easier.