If Steely Dan had a different vocalist

they'd be Monkey House.

I cannot believe I'd not heard of this band until discovering them just today.

If you like Dan (and who doesn't, really!) and haven't heard of MH, check them out.

128x128audiodwebe

Everybody, I just l love this thread! Steely Dan is my all time favourite ‘pop’ band of all time . I’ve seen them 7 times. I hear millennials have adopted SD and that gives me hope their music will be enjoyed for many more years. In response to if SD had a different singer it wouldn’t be the same because only Donald Fagen can deliver lyrics so in sync with the music. 

Thanks for the suggestion; I saw a news story on MH and didn’t think much but now I will check them out.

But when I think of Steely Dan, I don’t think greatest hits (even though they had many) and don’t think live performance. I see them as progressing in studio and evolving their sound from album to album.

One thing that stands out about SD is the shear amount of change in each album. Different studio musicians and core members other than Fagan / Becker, always pushing new boundaries. Can’t Buy a Thrill is not even close to where they eventually went with Aja and Gaucho. Like a new band every time.

Not sure is MH has the same type of evolution approach but I will give them a listen.

@thelonious527 - His point was that if Steely Dan had a different singer, they might sound like this band Monkey House he's talking about. When I first saw the headline, I thought the same as you, though.... 

In response to my response. I actually did understand the question but I just felt like adding my take on possibility of a different vocalist in SD . However I’m stoked to hear MH. Thanks for the recommendation. 

Steely Dan and The Beatles advanced the notion that immaculate studio work could make very exultant music.