If Steely Dan had a different vocalist

they'd be Monkey House.

I cannot believe I'd not heard of this band until discovering them just today.

If you like Dan (and who doesn't, really!) and haven't heard of MH, check them out.

128x128audiodwebe

@mgw I did not mean to be ironic. I misread the post. lol. I just went to YouTube to listen to a few songs by Monkey House and their music does indeed have a sound signature that is very similar to that of Steely Dan. So much so that I would say that Steely Dan has greatly influenced the sound of their music, which IMO is very enjoyable to listen to.

Very few songs have struck as much at first listen as The Royal Scam. This is a song I cannot ever get enough of, especially cranked up! I have been listening to Steely Dan for over 40 years, but only a few years ago actually heard The Royal Scam for the first time...Something about the drums and that beat man, very different and WILDLY addictive!

Well, how about that!  Like the others, never heard about them.frown  Add a wee bit of old Chicago into it also.

Everybody, I just l love this thread! Steely Dan is my all time favourite ‘pop’ band of all time . I’ve seen them 7 times. I hear millennials have adopted SD and that gives me hope their music will be enjoyed for many more years. In response to if SD had a different singer it wouldn’t be the same because only Donald Fagen can deliver lyrics so in sync with the music.