If I rip all my CD's to flac files do I still need a CD transport?

I'm in the process of ripping all my CDs to .flac files with Exact Audio Copy. If I see a verified rip with no errors, is there any point in considering upgrading my CD player? Would I be better investing is a quality streamer and DAC?

markcasazza

Simple...

I had 2 hard drive of 5GB  ... One conected all the time...

The other is a safe...

What happens when your hard drive chashes?  If you have the Cds, you can still recover the music.

I have 3 copies of my music library, one master and then two backups. It is super simple and cheap to backup a music library. In fact it is orders of magnitude easier than saving CDs and then potentially re-ripping the audio files.

Yes all HDs fail eventually. One thing that helps a lot is to NOT keep your music library files on your boot drive. If your library HD is on a separate disk (or NAS  drive etc) it is MUCH less likely to crash and burn. That outcome almost always goes to the boot drive. 

All of my CDs, about 1k, have been ripped to FLAC files, and reside on my server. I stream Tidal, but mostly listen to my CDs and I still buy CDs. I have  a Cambridge CXC transport, but it doesn't see much action. As of now, I have no plans on getting rid of NY CDs.

@markcasazza , Get a high quality drive such as the Pioneer BDR-S13U-X and install it in your PC for ripping CDs. Don't skimp on the quality of the drive. 

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Computer/Computer+Drives/BDR-S13U-X 

Rip CDs, put files in NAS and sell CDs to fund other hifi purchases!!

(You need a good SACD player though if you have a significant collection of SACDs, of course...) 

I have not used a Streamer or been demo'd one in use in own my System, but have used my owned CDT>DAC Source in Systems that have Vinyl, CD and a Streamed Source.  

I have come to viewpoint based on my limited experiences of all the above Sources, that the Streamer as a device is excellent, especially for the user interface and the opportunities to be able to experience musical encounters of various types of genre at the touch of button.

In these limited experiences of a Streamer Device being used in a system that I am familiar with.

The Streamer Experiences that are much lesser in number than any other Sources encountered and experienced in use, have resulted in a outcome that  I am yet to discover a Streamer Device that impresses sonically in the same way a Vinyl or CD Source can. 

I would suggest the OP keeps their CD Collection, there might be a time arrive, where a different CD Source is tried out.

A discovery that is made, could be the sonic offered from the use of a CD Source, has made the bigger impression and is proving to be the one that has the most attraction.