Ideas for Pre/Power $9000?

Currently need to replace a receiver. I don't have many local options for auditioning. My system consists of the following; Elac Debut F6, Pro-Ject Debut Pro, Pro-Ject S2 stage, NAS and streaming. I listen in a regular ol' family room with no treatments. Mostly like metal genre. Budget is $9k ish.

128x128lfromsalem

Showing 7 responses by mofojo

Is this a real post? If so my apologies. 9k for power to a $500 Elac monitor does not make much sense. Also Elac monitor and a metal head does not make a lot of sense either. 

Do you have speakers in mind you want to upgrade to? For example a Klipsch and a Dynaudio likely would want very different amplification to sound their best. If going to spend up to 9k I would think you would want something that would work well with your eventual speaker upgrade IMO. 

I'm a metal guy as well. I currently have a Lyngdorf TDIA 3400 and had the smaller 2170 a few years ago. Amazing sound quality IMO and the Room correction is a must have for me. Music especially metal sounds much better after room correction. There's a lot going on and its fast. Sounds like a blur comparatively with room perfect off. It's like it just times everything out perfectly when it hits your ears. Something to consider. Can pick up a loaded used one for around 4k. 8kish new. 

It would do wonders in your non treated regular ole family room! :-)

I’m sure the Elacs are descent speakers and a better amp should make them sound their best. Just be careful what you choose so that it doesn’t limit your speaker choice down the road. Not knowing what speakers you would consider I would stick with something fairly powerful so don’t limit your choices down the road. 

On the other hand if you buy used and buy right then no worries. You can always get back what you have in it and move on to something else. Krell K300i would be another on my shortlist. 

@tunefuldude +1,

my upstairs system would be considered overkill by most normies opinions. Probably 13k if bought new at the time it was new which it is VERY far from. Anyway it’s very descent stuff and I paid probably 15% of that. At 100db it’s loud, cause 100db is loud! IMO. 

100db in the basement with Lyngdorf does not seem loud. It’s dynamic as hell and bass is absolutely killer but 0 fatigue. Need to keep in check to not hurt your ears. Kind of a strange sensation. 

Yes you will absolutely hear a difference with metal and the ilk. Even poorly recorded material will sound better although not great. Not all of us listen to fruity tooty audiophile fare….