Ideal power cord lengths?

A quick Google search suggests there is consensus that the ideal power cord length is 2m.  1m cords sound “harsher” and 3m cords sound “smoother”, with 2m being the sweet spot.  The PS Audio dude suggests that the reason is that the reason is that all cords have an impact on the power, and the greater the length, the greater the impact, good or bad.

I know many will say there is no difference between a 1m cord and a 3m cord.  But my question is, who here has tried like model power cords of different lengths, and what were the differences?  

Second question:  How does length factor into the equation when you have a cord feeding a conditioner, then other cords feeding components?  If 2m cords are in fact the ideal, would 1m cords be ideal when using conditioners?

I tend to believe those that say that power cord lengths matter.  While I’ve not been able to do this test myself, I’ve had these two experiences:

• Testing Audioquest Diamond and Nordost Valhalla 2 USB cables, the cables shorter than 1.5m sounded TERRIBLE by comparison.  Especially the .75m Audioquest Diamond vs the 1.5m version.  But the 1m Valhalla 2 also sounded awful in comparison to the 2m version.  In general this opened my eyes to how much cable length matters, and counterintuitively in the case of digital cables. 
  • I have a 2019 2m AudioQuest Hurricane Source cable from back when AQ braided their cables, and I also have the newer non-braided Hurricane Source, but 3m in length.  The new Hurricane sounds vastly superior to my old 2m Hurricane.  In comparison the older cord compresses the soundstage depth.  I don’t know if the differences are due to the differences in length, or if it’s due to a design change by Audioquest.

Very interested in learning of others experiences with power cord lengths.

nyev

Showing 9 responses by 1971gto455ho

@nyev 

Two of the 3 amps in my system do require independently a 20 amp breaker service. First can do a healthy 1500 4 Ohm watts at 0.01% THD, weighs in at 136 pounds. Second a healthy 1400 4 Ohm watts at 0.05 THD, weighing in at 95 pounds. The reason for multiple 20 amp breaker services…I’m wiring anyway, do it then I don’t have to think about any order plugging things in. 

Cheers 

Simple, pure heavy gauge copper at shorter distance equals less resistance, that’s a fact. As to changing the tones or Quality there of, A huge imagination coupled with a light wallet..you know you’re gonna hear perfection. Lol 

@nyev  

No poking here, I’ll tell ya what I’ve got. A smaller town, 5km from Electrical substation, a Single transformer post from a mainline with me being the only destination. I have a pony panel with 100 amp service with four outlet hospital grade boxes side-by-side each wired with 12 gauge and individual 20 amp breakers. That wiring Is directly wired into the panel which is a 10 foot trip. The panel is Obviously inside my sound room exiting through the wall then 200 feet to the transformer service pole. Power is remarkably clean with enough current to service several systems. I do feel privileged.

Cheers 

What a load of… we are supposed to think there is crosstalk created by units transferring noise from now internal DC Back to AC line in…now works its way back into other AC lines in ? Not to be nasty but that is the biggest pile of electrical rubbish I’ve read yet. This form is fun I just can’t believe the Collection of unsubstantiated BS that gets slung around.

@nyev 

I gather your using a 30 amp breaker with your 10 gauge line, and your amp is of a size that requires that hefty feed ? That is highly unlikely. Or perhaps your entire system runs off of a single 10 gauge line ? I’ve 4 outlets with cut gangs so each socket has a 12 gauge service. That’s 8 moderately bendable wires and a total of 160 amps of breaker protection. In poker that would be called a full house, shuffle the cards will ya...

Correction to my last post folks, the tabs not gangs were cut on the Receptacle outlets…now I feel better 😎

Cheers 

@bikeboy52 

Will be posting pictures shortly, we’re down to minor drywall and paint. As usual will do it in a month turned into six…lol. Overall I’m happy with what’s been done. PM me if you want a little info 

Cheers