I Have 100K for Speakers?

I saw a post today that caught my eye. New to the hobby and is looking t0 spend 50-100k for speakers. At that point is how far are we into "return on investment". There has to be a point where the $$ spent has no relation to the sound you get. I'm just questioning the point as to when does this get kind of silly..No?
zigonht
Could you take the time to explain what you're trying to do? Are you going to change your entire system, or just place the new speakers into your existing setup? A new room? The reason I ask is that you seem to be concerned with the best bang for the buck. If that's the case, then you need to take a more holistic approach. You'll have to factor in the room and the amplifier in picking your speakers. If you don't plan along these lines whatever speakers you end up with will probably not achieve good sound per dollar spent.
It gets silly when you are new to the hobby and are thinking of spending 50-100K on speakers. Great systems come from experience - throwing money at building a system often ends up in very dissapointing results. I rememeber a fellow who knew nothing about audio, but made a killing in stocks in the early 80s computer boom - I went to his house to listen to his $200,000 system, I did not have the heart to tell him that it was all I could do to not run out of the room.
Gregm,

30k..See that to me still seems way up there. Even if I wanted to spend 30k AND had wifes approval I don't think my ears could tell differences enough to be cost effective..Maybe my ears are going. Not too sure.
Yoou can easily find SOTA speakers for 30k or considerably less; the rest is vanity.
Silliness or insanity in this hobby (as in most) is largely a matter of degree.

While to many of us $100k on speakers seems insane, how many of us have spent hundreds of dollars on interconnects or power cords? In the eyes of the average person, that's insane.

The person mentioned by the original poster is coming from the world of high-end cars. In that arena, $50k - $100k is probably entry-level.

Duke
dealer/manufacturer/terminally insane