I don't get it...Exile on main Street-Blue

I love to listen to great podcast/interviews with great musicians. Last night i listened to Rick Beato interview Maynard from the great band Tool. Besides being a fantastic conversation, Maynard told Rick the two most influential albums for his music inspiration are Joni Mitchell Blue, and Black Sabbath's first self titled record.

I understand and love Black Sabbaths first record, but I have listened to JM Blue countless times and just don't understand what the hype is. Full disclosure I love female vocalists, and I also love Joni's  Court and a Spark. With that said I have heard many musicians rave about Blue. Please enlighten me-what am I missing ?

The other head scratcher for me is Exile on Main Street by the Stones. Again I have heard many musicians rave about this double album. I don't get it... Beggars Banquet-Let it Bleed-Sticky Fingers are so much better in my opinion, but just like Blue, It seems like musicians much prefer Exile on Main Street.

I know its all subjective...but these are two records I have never learned to appreciate. Thoughts ?

krelldog

@jastralfu when I said “level playing field” I meant, unlike athletics where it’s a scientifically proven fact that males have a physical advantage over females, none such exists in art.

Your obviously new to music forum conversations. Female vocalists are often referred to by that description. There is no slight or bias when that phrase is mentioned.

But your one of those woke idiots that wants to turn everything into an argument.

What makes music special is that its usually exempt from all the political bullshit.

Please refer to my original post...and if you have nothing but your woke agenda to contribute....go away you troll.

My Lord even the Audiophile world is infiltrated with these poison minds that want to wreck everything.

thecarpathian

I don't think Peter, Paul and Mary 'rocked' anything...

Doo you take everything literally?

@tylermunns  You keep repeating that calling female vocalist is sexist. In a context where it's the point. A men won't/can't have a female voice. Not even close. If I had to choose what I can listen to for the rest of my life, I would choose female singers. I prefer female doctors, female massage therapists, female vocalists. (And I have no desire to flirt with them, I don't care for how they look, I care about how good they are at their job.)

Does it make me sexist? If it does, I am clueless about what sexist is.

I was 2 years old when these albums came out. However, I noticed that I had put both Blue and Court and a Spark in my ROON library. I wanted to hear these 2 again since I love my office system now. It just sounds great.

I thought Court and a Spark was rather good but could not get into Blue.

With the Stones I love Exile. I found that as my gear improved the Stones became my favorite band. I love Exile on my phones too.

I actually have to limit how much of the Stones I listen to so as not to overdo it. Now I have heard the Stones since the 70’s but maybe I am only hearing them at their best today,

The new Stones album is also rather good.

BTW - that post on sexism, my first thought was Russian or Chinese troll. I mean that in the best sense.