How would you start with 5K?

I am getting started and want to get the most enjoyment for $5K in Home Theater. Music is key, but I cannot afford the best of both worlds. I live in an appartment so I don't want to over-do-it. I have about $5K to spend and I am planning to start with a Denon 3801 (new) and a pair of B&W 804's (used) and HTM-1 (used). I already have a Sony S550D and some speakers (nothing special) for the rear channel. With time I want to add an Amp, better sources and better surround speakers. What would you do?
white_noise

Showing 1 response by tmartinjr9589

I agree with the comments before me, with one twist. In HT the most important speaker is the center channel. I would buy a B&W that matched the sound of your 804's. Ideally, it should be another 804 or better. I can't stress enough the importance of the center speaker for HT. Almost all the dialogue and sound comes from it. For music, don't use it at all. It's difficult for 3 speakers to provide a clear, consistent sound. Stereo works best.

Second purchase, Sony S9000ES. It greatly improved the sound of my CDs and DVDs. I had a Sony 300 DVD player and a $500 Sony CD player. The S9000ES also has a SACD option for music and has progressive scan video.

Third, a TV to take advantage of the progressive scan.