How to select a good Speaker Cable

Speaker cables do have a significant role in how our system sounds. Different cables sound different. 

So which one is the right one for you?

The Speaker Cable is an extension of the Amp. and not an addition to the speaker's load. It shall have a certain resistance (low) not to spoil the Amp's DF figure. As so, it can be calculated and there is a formula to do it.

The higher the Amp's DF, the lower the Speaker Cable's resistance shall be. As today SS power Amp's get DFs of 400 and above (Digital Amps go by thousands) the cable of 10 ft (3m) long, gets as thick as 0 AWG.

I can see your eyebrows elevates, when that thick cable is to be deal with. Most Speaker Cable makers skip it because of that. So most cables on the market (regardless of the look or price) are of 14-12 AWG. Way less that supposed to be.

Worst! no Speaker Cable maker, dealer or seller knows the answer, of what is the correct cable for your system. 

So most of us ended up, with a cables too thin for the task.

A conducted test, on this site, about a year ago as well as with some closer friends, shows a significant improvement with a calculated size cable over their previous cable. The results were all positive and preferred the calculated cable.

So, instead of asking: which of two brands, or two prices or two colors of Speaker Cable do I need, you should ask how thick of a Speaker Cable do I need.

I'll be happy to provide you the calculation, for who request it. All you need to provide is:

1). Length (Ft. or meter)

2). The Amp's DF figure.

Thanks

128x128b4icu
Michael,

Thanks for the information and suggestion.  I am first going to install another 0 AWG set of cables to see if this improves performance, before considering the acquisition of another amp.

I high pass the amp output from 35hz.  The Magnepan MGIIIa's are flat to 40hz and fall off from there.  Moreover, the bass Mylar panel is a large area with very little excursion.  Consequently, perhaps the control of this driver is not as challenging as a cone driver with a long excursion attempting to reproduce sub 35hz frequencies.  Is the optimum DF as critical with this system?

Frequencies below 45hz are fed via the pre-out to a Velodyne FSX-12 that is "Servo Controlled" to limit excursion.  The pre-out and powered outputs includes Devialet's SAM software designed to limit cone breakup.  The speaker cable in this unit is probably 14 inches long.  I can not find a DF spec for it's A-B amplifier. 

Does any of this additional information alter your opinion of the ideal cables for this system?

Notwithstanding the fact that DF is supposed to benefit frequencies below 85hz, my observation is that adding 2x0 AWG speaker cables greatly improved mid and high frequency resolution.  This may be the result of the attenuation of bass and mid-bass excess excursion (boom). 

Current bass control sounds tighter and realistic.  It's measured in-room response is flat.

Unless you advise otherwise, I am willing to invest another $67 to see if it can get any better.  Plus, I like tinkering.  I will let you know if the next experiment yields diminishing returns.

Cheers

J
I built a cable this last Sat. 3 m long and #0 AWG thick.
Yesterday I demonstrated it. It was a nice and happy demo:
It replaced a #9 AWG, same length, connected to a Power Amp. with DF of 1,600.
The smile on this guy's face is there till now (a day latter). The sound improved significantly. The bass went lower and tighter. Like a subwoofer was added, just by exchanging the cables!
The mid and highs became crystal clear and balanced. The details increased, like if we focus a picture with a lense. The sound was much better and different from the original cable.
He asked to keep the cable for a week, to play with, and listen to more CDs.
The Guy has a collection of 18,000 CD titles! Most classical.
Michael,

Sounds similar to my experience.

I await delivery of what will become the third 0 AWG cable driving my speakers.

I found a clever way to couple two cables and a tail for use with a banana plug, see: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QZRKXSL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The above linked battery cable coupler comes with a clear plastic snap-on cover for insulation on four sides. The remaining open sides can be protected with electrical tape. I use a 60 amp ring lug terminal connector, secured to the battery post bolt with the lug positioned in the slot on the coupler. This lug is crimped and solder to a 6 AWG 2" tail that connects to the banana plug.

My third 0 AWG cable will be connected to the amp via a tinned wire tail inserted in the screw clamp connection on the amp. The bananas connecting signal to two of the 0 AWG cables are connected to same screw clamp. The screw clamp has a female banana plug connection at the end of the clamp tightening knob. This arrangement allows me to use two short tails per tap to reduce resistance.

At the other end of the three cables (total of six per side) I attach a 4 AWG 2" tail with a 30 Amp ring lug for connection to a terminal board that connects to the crossover.

I will let you know if the third cable install improves the sound.

The fun continues.

Very truly yours,

J
Hi Mr.  keppertup

I spoke yesterday with the guy I did the domo for, and he said that the smile is still on his face...
He has two sets of Amplification.
A set of two mono blocks, made by an Israeli firm, and an H2O.
We tried it first with the moco blocks, as they were his favorites.
But there was a problem. There was no Spec on the web site or anywhere, about the Amp's DF!
We called the maker, to find out the missing data. He claimed they do not know, as it never been measured because it is insignificant and doesn't matter.
Unfortunately for him' it was after my cables were hooked. So the DF vs Cable's resistance were proven already. 
The conversation was ended with a look saying all and we switched to the H2O (DF=1,600). It stayed there till the end of the Demo.
It is so bizarre, that people (so called Audiophiles), tend to argue a subject, they know nothing about, never tried it and still do it. Why?

How to select a good speaker cable:
1) Compare by listening.
2) Compare by reading what others heard by listening.
3) Right. As if. There are no other ways. Either you listen, or they do. All else is BS.