HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR SYSTEM IN LESS THAN 30 SECONDS

I am serious.  I work VERY hard to have the best system I can.  I have made many upgrades and am more than happy with my equipment.  I stream 100% of the time, mostly form Qobuz.  My digital front end is highly optimized.  But when I want my system to sound AMAZING?

I play Mark Knopfler or my favorite  Dire Straits.  Seriously.  It is recorded so exceptionally  well, and seems to have harmonics which just please the ear and soul.  I often think it sounds a bit 'tube like', as my system is all solid state.  There are just no offending sounds, and never sibilance.  I could list songs, but it would be easier to just list the one not to play ('Money for Nothing').

fastfreight

Brother's In Arms was the first CD I ever bought back in the 80's. It's funny, the album won some award for recording, the second CD I bought was Momentary Lapse of Reason, also won some award. I was listening to it last night and comparing the 2019 remix version with the original 1987 recording. I think the original sounds better, at least on my system - possibly because it's what I expect to hear. The re-mix seems a little more saturated in the upper midrange, which my B&W's are super efficient in reproducing. It was pretty cool listening session. I closed out the session with Dire Straits Private Investigation, love the dynamics and crisp recording.

Couple of additions to the test tracks:

Rush - The Camera Eye - Moving Pictures

King Crimson - The Lizard Suite - Live in Chicago

The Stone Roses - Fool's Gold - The Stone Roses

David Grisman Quintet - Acoustisity - Jazz Alley

and many more.

thecarpathian Lots of 'no longer middle age' readers on this site! Myself included.

@katzenjammer27

I bought the Dire Straits albums as they came out (I'm old).  It was odd that I liked them because I was really into harder rock at the time.  When Brothers in Arms came out, I would crank Money for Nothing and didn't care as much for the other songs.  Now, it's just the opposite.  I skip over Money for Nothing.  lol.