How rare is an audiophile

I’ve been extremely busy lately and not had a chance to sit back and listen to music  on my system for a few weeks. I’ve streamed my favorite music in the car and on a small JBL Flip-4 portable speaker; which by the way “punches way above its size class.”  I continued to enjoy music whenever, wherever, and however i can during this “dry spell.”

So now its 5 am Sunday morning. I know i’ll be spending most of the day listening on the JBL when my wife and I drive out to a lake house we bought recently and are furnishing and getting ready for 4 generations to enjoy lake life this summer and for years to come. 
I’ve let my system warm up and hit play on my CD player. I now find myself in total bliss listening to Chris Standing’s newest CD “The Lovers Re-mix Collection.”  The effect of the quality of the sound of the music my wife and i are enjoying right now with a cup of coffee is hard to explain, but it brought literal tears of joy.  

I started thinking, how many people are like us?  What % of the population are audiophiles (whatever your definition of an audiophile is)?

I know the answer is heavily dependent on which country you live in. I live in the US along with ~332,000,000 fellow citizens (please, lets not get political on the meaning of population or citizen). 
Are we the 0.1%ers?  Are there ~332,000 audiophiles in the US?

i’d be interested in what others think about how rare our species is.

ezstreams

Judging by the number of cars I hear with pretty good to excellent sound and the number of car stereo dealers. . . . plus people in Ebay who collect vintage gear, etc. . . . plus people into hi-res formats. . . . plus home theater. . . . it has shifted to areas other than the 2 speaker home listening experience.

Was it Darwin who said "It's those who adapt to change that survive."? It's not always the fittest.

No matter how rare the species might be there are enough of them to keep the industry in business.

In simple reply – you (“we”) are not alone in a deep appreciation of the music that we choose to include in our daily lives.  And if it fits being labeled an audiophile, eschewing that moniker’s, sometime hubris of ego, so be it.

Among several careers, writing remaining one, our written or spoken word may reflect a depth or shallowness of the space between our ears but it is music that reflects and reveals the fathoms of our soul, providing solace and peace but more often inspiration to create things from art to new businesses.

Whether it be a Mahler piece, the soothing harp of a Hilary Stagg, the “comforting and warming choral scores of a cheery requiem” or the sonorous depths of Russian liturgical voices, music is the nourishment that feeds our soul.

This morning, beginning my “penultimate year of joining the ranks of “octogenarians,” there was much to contemplate and seeing your posting, laptop fired up and like “Nipper,” ensconced in my “listening chair,” fearing the monoliths looming a few yards away itching to topple crushing my ancient being, decided to contemplate just how to answer your question.

As a child in the 1950’s, daily morning awakening involved hearing music wafting from that huge ebony Magnavox console downstairs in my parent’s living room.  If they only knew I listened to music on my crystal radio (WOR New York) “Music After Midnight” well into the “wee hours.”  Yes, I learned to play the tuba in junior high school, throttling its “umpahhhh” into a mellow deep undernote and would talk incessantly (who would have guessed given this screed) about what was listened to the night before to my track and swimming buddies before our practice and competition meets.

Thus, the imprinting of the habit of music from one generation to the next.  Indeed, three sons suffer the same affliction despite their broad differences in careers from Senior military officer to executive engineer to top shelf medical research.  To wit, now my grandchildren are immersed in music as an integral part of their interests as they pursue their own careers.   

Fortunate to have traveled extensively word over for more than sixty five years (first aircraft  flight at twelve on a “tri-tail”, four engine Constellation – wow me that old) the common thread of the truly impressive individuals with whom lasting friendships have endured, is their including music in their lives, from epicurean tastes to the raw “thwannng” of a R&R ripping guitar score and even a Swiss mountain horn (which I have attempted) .

These individuals reflected every level of humanity from the Palestinian whose house was demolished by a neighboring nations bull dozer, to the artisan that fixed my plumbing (as in kitchen sink and also the surgeon when my body needed dry dock and repair) to business people and actually heads of state here and overseas.  That common thread of “need for music” and appreciation for its complexity has become part of my “elevator chat encounters” that provide an initial “size up” of character.

From strategic global analysis, to writing, to business, to creating for art exhibits here and overseas my take now -- it is the music that envelops our being and consciousness that adds to what and who we become. 

The brand name and power rating on the amplifier, much like a signed picture of the soup can on a wall may be intended by some to impress and offer bragging rights to satisfy an ego or need for self-esteem elevation but ultimately relevance will  only be found within, as the music we tune into, sets the mind on a journey of contemplation, introspection and creativity for the days ahead, appreciative and mindful of the days past.

To offer perspective, I am a 1600’s New England Yankee passport holding citizen of my nation, (certainly not “yet” suffering the curse of senility) but also a citizen of the world of music listeners – to judge myself an audiophile would be hubris on my part but acceptable if needed to define the importance of music to me.

Be well!

THS

@thsaunders 

Fortunate to have traveled extensively... the common thread of the truly impressive individuals with whom lasting friendships have endured, is their including music in their lives, from epicurean tastes to the raw “thwannng” of a R&R ripping guitar score and even a Swiss mountain horn.

These individuals reflected every level of humanity from the Palestinian whose house was demolished by a neighboring nations bull dozer, to the artisan that fixed my plumbing (as in kitchen sink and also the surgeon when my body needed dry dock and repair) to business people and actually heads of state here and overseas.  

That common thread of “need for music” and appreciation for its complexity has become part of my “elevator chat encounters” that provide an initial “size up” of character.

Nicely put. For 5 minutes or so I was somewhere else. I was a little put out to realise that my teenage daughter hardly shares any of my musical tastes or any deep interest in sound quality, and neither does my wife. Or maybe they secretly do, but just won't admit it yet? I can hope.

I don't believe its elitist to judge people by their tastes in music. Most of the time it makes good sense and gives you an immediate bearing on where that person is coming from.

In those cases where someone is unfamiliar with certain piece of music opportunities can arise where you are able to introduce each other with selections they might find sympathetic. Quite often a personal recommendation can be far more helpful than reading what some critic has written in a magazine book.

Of course, there are those with whom the musical gulf is not easily bridgeable and there's very little that can be done to amend that.

Perhaps it's just a question of where you are prepared to draw the line.

Belonging to an informal (usually 3 member) music club I've been introduced to a far wider range of music than I would have been on my own.

I've enjoyed most of it too, even if I did tend to drift off a little whilst some Drum and Bass was being tested out or some Northern Soul.

Quite surprisingly, I'm even gradually drifting towards Prog Rock, a genre I detested some 40 years ago.

[Back then, it was either punk or prog rock, you couldn't like both].

Anyway, what else is there to do, when one of your best friends loves it?

An associated question might be, how rare is an Audiophile who is also a Videophile? I was intrigued/invested as an Audiophile long before incorporating video in the mix. The custom home that we now live in has both an optimized audio room and a separate home theater room. My wife and I enjoy both rooms and view each as having a different set of priorities. 

We entertain regularly but find that most of our friends would rather see a movie than listen to music. I guess we have one friend of a friend that could be considered an Audiophile. 

I met my wife (of 43 years) on a blind date. First thing we did was listen to my

audio system. She thought it was grand and the rest is history.