How Much Power Do Vandersteen 5a's Really Need?

I just made a deal for a mint condition pair of these. I've long wanted a really good pair of Vandersteens but didn't have the budget to play in that space. I've read a number of discussions here, and otherwise, talking about this, though they were somewhat older. Despite the fact that the low end in these speakers is internally amplified, and one would think even SET amps, or certainly just about any good push pull tube amp would power these superbly, people generally seem to be throwing a LOT of power at them. Am I missing something?

Any input, expertise, or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
nightfall

Showing 15 responses by tomic601

so, several problems solved...

Dbpoweramp ( the software program ) includes a batch file conversion engine, MP3 to flac for all the Vandertones tracks took less than 3 minutes. The OP now has flac files via email which he can play on his NAS. BTW Vandertones are a free download and should be used by interested in what is going on below 120 HZ in your room....
OP also now has a set of high milage Audioquest shotgun biwire cables w Vandy size spade on speaker ends.
:-)
on to music !!!!!!!
you can use several programs to convert mp3 to .wav then play via NAS do a google search on converting...
i am working your CD but had a setback in getting access to it.
jim
jlmcc lovely system, spend the $ for the analog RS meter, i have the studio 6 on an ipad, it yields somewhat different results. BUT !!!!! awesome job getting them setup.The factory charge to replace batteries is quite reasonable and remember both the internal filters AND the high pass have batteries. congrats on awesome speakers and Brian Berdan is a great guy !!!!

to the OP, Peter should be shipping the loaner cables to you. 

Nightfall - Where are you located ? I have a pair of 8’ Audioquest loaner cables you may borrow. @bigkidz has them....
Dealers will have the CD, or contact factory. You must use The RS analog SPL meter, the Cd is compensated for it.

YES ! your xlr filters are easy to sell here on audiogon...in demand

finally congrats on scoring a lovely veneer....
right from your power amp. Now that you know amp input impedence, remove covers and set DIP switches to match settings called out in manual or on stickers affixed to each filter.

I have set 5a up in a 45’ x 20’ x 10’ great room in Charleston, SC....they were flat to twenty in that room.200,wpc Mac amp w ARC pre....Lovely

Credit due Robert Taylor of Taylor house audio for the assist, many on the board will remember him.
To set the inline filter correctly need to know the CJ input impedence. Most likely in your CJ manual and specifications. IF not you can use Vandertones and a Voltmeter.

After that, you are on to setting the 11 bands of EQ for each channel below 120 HZ.....
To the OP, 5a owners are giving you real world inputs that vary because they listen at different levels in different rooms. Hook yours up and form your won judgement, just don’t clip your amps. 

The Vandersteen powered bass is very unique. the first order hi-pass filter is inserted inline before your power amp. This does three important things: preserves phase, any other filter does not. It also GREATly reduces load on the amplifier as it does not need to reproduce full amplitude low bass....ever ! this load reduction sweetens the midrange and highs because the amp is not working as hard. The sub amp built into the 5a is optimized to drive just one speaker on the planet - the unique aluminum honeycomb push pull sub driver in the 5a and the 7. Power factor and feed forward corrected. and because you are using a high level speaker connection to both sub and speaker, the transfer funtion of your CJ amp imprints on both - seamless. yes the sub amp restores the bass signal to flat. ......

Jim
mostly because the OP has really yet to define in db how loud ? 

and Oz “ my brand “ of speaker include horns, stats, planer, cones in boxes...and Vandersteens.... I think I am at 9 pair,  The horns are at my Flyrod builders workshop....

I think IF horns were the only answer, everyone would own them...

With your new speakers and your existing amp you have a road racing Porsche. Hyper low distortion , in room real world bandwidth and superb stereo imaging. IF you want loud hyper efficient get a dump truck - it’s a different task at rock concert levels in a large space.

my offer of help stands, Richard invented your great speakers - no better source, glad you spoke with him. He answers the phone, since 1977
I had the 5a for years before the 7’s. I used a variety of amplifier: Ayre , McIntosh, an ARC Ref 75 se was lovely....

how big is the room ? How loud do you listen ? Hint to set the EQ and set them up properly you need an analog SPL meter from RS.

congrats on what is still a world class speaker !!! Enjoy the music

yell if you need setup help