How Long Is Too Long?

I know this forum has tons of experience with all things audio. 

My question to the members is when you send a piece of gear to the manufacturer for repair; what is a reasonable turnaround time? 

I will leave the "company" out for now because I don't want to potentially hurt their business if it's not warranted.

I sent my phono pre and step up device in for repairs four months ago.  It's a small one man operation in California.  Around the time I sent them in, one of his products got a small positive review in Stereophile magazine and he said that since then he's been swamped with orders.  Understandable I guess and good for him.  Not so good for me though.

As I said, I haven't seen my equipment in four months.  Is this considered reasonable?  I called him about a month ago and talked to him directly and he assured me that he would get to my equipment soon.  So far, nothing.  I guess I should have asked what his definition of "soon" is.

I'm happy that he's selling units and business has picked up for him but with his new found success it appears like us early supporters are being left out in the cold. 

I know my hands are tied at this point and I do have a back up phono pre of lower cost and quality so I haven't been without the ability to play records.  

I appreciate any thoughts or advice.  

Thanks, 

Nick

nicktheknife

Sutherland did not make a PSU. His first phono preamps were battery powered. It was called the PHD!

i had the phd, lovely unit, beautifully built -- utterly quiet black background, sweet sound... lacked a little drive/prat compared to the best i have had though

@mofojo 

I was first annoyed and then relieved. It became more and more painful to deal with this shop and I had to let it go. The guy became so arrogant (despite my continued patronage for over a decade, putting up with his weirdness and terms) that there was no point in arguing.

I've talked to the owner and it's not a supply issue.  He simply hasn't had time to get to my gear as he is busy building new units for new orders.  

That tells you exactly where his priorities lie and where his integrity doesn't.

That is exactly what I thought as well. And if its because there are many  more to be repaired  units in the queue ahead of yours would also be a concern.

A balance of priorities between sales and service is crucial in business. If it can't be relied on for reasonable service turnaround  whenever needed, for many that's a no go. Some very good manufacturers have died on that altar of sales then lip service... after sales service and communication is essential, but so often overlooked until its needed .

@nicktheknife @grislybutter I'm not trying to minimize the problem but how old is the piece? If it's past warranty he's doing you a favor by fixing it. I would be annoyed but I have learned that the little boutique shop just will not be able to offer what the bigger companies do when it comes to service. I hope he gets it back you in good working order.

As I said earlier, it's great that he "stands by his product" and doesn't charge for repairs as long as you own them.

That said, if I knew I'd be waiting four months and counting, I would have preferred to pay for the repair and more than likely  get it back in a reasonable amount of time.  

He's supposed to fix the mono switch he installed but never hooked up in the phono pre in addition to the bad left channel in the Copla step up device. 

So much for supporting the little guy.