How Long do LP's last

I am recently returned to the world of audio and have a question. In addition to a nice CD player I added a nice little VPI HW19Jr. turntable to my system. I love the sound of vinyl and find it far more enjoyable to listen to than the CD's, though they are nice too. I have a rather modest LP collection and I am listening so much to vinyl I am concerned that I will wear out some of my records. How long to they last. I use a Dynavector 10x5 set at about 2.0, no problems with tracking. What can one expect. One sollution will be to add several hundred new LP's to the collection, I am working on that. Any other thoughts? How many plays can I expect? thanks.
128x128davt
I have read somewere that polyvinyl chloride can last 100 years. After that, who cares.
Cleaning them with a VPI 16.5 using Disc Doctor fluid and pads and then treating them with LAST I've had records that have lasted years with no sign of wear or damage. I also use Stylast which I think lowers the wear on your records as well as your stylus.
I totally agree with Sdcambell, also had records 35 years and still play perfect. Beg, steal or borrow the money for a record cleaning machine. As well as longer lasting records, you get better sound.

PS my SACD's on a Shanling still do not sound as good as my LP system.
Agreed. I have 45-50 year old LP's that play fine. Not all of them by any means, but all the ones that were properly cared for.

Proper care means a RCM. Don't upgrade your turntable or tonearm before buying one. Don't upgrade your cartridge first either. Yes, a worn stylus can damage vinyl, but any stylus will damage vinyl if the vinyl isn't clean. Only a vacuum RCM can prevent that.

Last night I spun some magnificent 1966 English pressings of Solti's 'Das Rheingold'. I got them from the original owner, who bought them when they first hit these shores nearly 40 years ago. He used the Discwasher "system" regularly but never owned a RCM. He actually advised me not to buy one. "Won't make a difference," was his opinion.

Well, after seven passes on my Loricraft, using RRL, AIVS, Smart Developments and Micro Care Premier, I believe I've removed all the loose grunge that his stupid Disc Washer repeatedly emulsified and then left behind. Unfortunately, nothing will remove the microscopic bits his stylus ground into the groove walls over the years.

These magnificent pressings are now listenable, but they're noisier than they might have been. The original owner's rig wasn't good enough to reveal the damage he was doing, but the damage was still being done. They sound exactly like carefully handled records that were merely Disc-Washered, no big pops but many low level ticks. Those would not be there if he'd cleaned the records properly before playing them.

Buy a RCM if you care about your vinyl. If you don't, and someday upgrade to a more revealing rig, you'll learn the hard way about the damage you were doing but couldn't hear.