How long do good speakers last?

I just ordered a set of Sonus Faber Olympica Nova Vs, my first foray into nice speakers. I turn 51 this month and am hoping these will be the last speakers I ever buy. But it got me to thinking - how long should I expect these speakers to last? Or any good speakers for that matter? Does the foam eventually break down? Issues with general wear and tear? Appreciate your perspectives!
128x128bigtex22

Showing 1 response by parker65310

My Apogee Acoustics Duetta II Signature Series speakers were bought new by my dad in the early 90’s. They still sound great, but the inferior acoustic foam from those days is situated internally to where once it breaks down to where I now have a bass buzz at a very specific frequency on the left speaker (which
 UPS freight also dropped hard and damaged a bit). Plus the remaining acoustic foam can’t be replaced without replacing the ribbons. Due to this, and also wanting to take advantage of the newest Graz designed ribbons, much better crossover caps, binding post, etc. I’m having the speakers totally redone in about a month (waiting in backlog with Music Technology in VA for almost a year, pandemic really stretched this period out). Longer story shortened, many have these speakers from this era still going strong. Just depends on your what you are willing to tolerate and can afford in the long run. That said, conventional speakers are much less prone to these challenges.
The key I think is speakers can last a lifetime when taken care of and not moved (by others) as much as possible! Shipping companies are potentially your worst longevity enemy by far!