How long can preamp tubes last?

Good evening Ladies and Gents
Trying to learn! I have had a Shiit Freya + preamp for about 1 year now, and it has about 450 hours of play time, with original tubes.
Is it time to change the tubs? What tubes/brand would be recommended to purchase? 
As far as budget, I really have no idea what they cost.
Also, what does the expression" rolling the tubes" means?

Any information would be welcome.
Thank for reading.
rockanroller

Showing 3 responses by tomic601

rolling means changing the tube to another compatible type/brand/year of manufacture, etc…..it’s a wonderful sub cult. IF i were you, start a new thread with subject like: Tuberolling the Freja + ?
that will get ball rolling…better…

btw, the Schitt book is a good read.
i have a 1961 and 1965 mac 240 and 110 Z, all the records of work, tubes, performance clinics….the small signal Telefunkens have held up well. All due to engineering approach and philosophy….
oh ya, and they sound great…

have fun
very specific to designer, the tubes, tube grading and the genius of the designer and the engineering culture of the firm. Roger Modjeski ( Music Reference ) and Gordon Gow ( good old Mac ) come to mind…soft start, tight regulation, a deep understanding of the published specs and adhering to operating envelope ( or knowing where to push or trade - Modjeski in particular a genius there…see Burning Amp for a taste ….. ( rca handbooks invaluable as a…starting point )…. tubes in preamps designed by above sometime see 10 k hours. i just replaced a set of 6H in a modern ARC w 4,730 hours….i test every year…
have fun…