How good is the midrange in the DK Design VS-1Mk2?

Hi,

I am an avid new age listener, and listen to the likes of Vangelis, Jean Michel Jarre, and Tangerine Dream to name a few, and I was wondering how you would compare the DK Design Group VS-1 Mk. 2 Integrated Amp midrange to a good tube amp midrange? Which do you think is better and why? I have a rebuilt and retrofited Dynaco 70 by Will Vincent of Auto Specialty in Idaho, and it has a very detailed and transparent midrange, and I love it. Matching components include the Eastern Electric Minimax CD player with mullard tubes, Sonic Euphoria preamp, and I have a pair of the Morel 403.5 speakers to complete this nice little system. However, I am planning on running the DK Design VS-1 MK2 with Tyler Acoustic Super Towers in my living room. Thanks much for your help.

Best,

Joe
jmorey
A quick corrective follow-up. The FIM Gold power cord is too much on the amp. I abandoned it. Like much Levinson gear, the DK VS-1 MK II is very carefully voiced around its own power cord, so finding something better is going to be very tough if not impossible. This amp is carefully thought thru sonically. Just don't use an FIM Gold on the amp. It was my mistake, although I keep an FIM Gold on my CD player. More later as the amp breaks in.
Hello friends. I bought this amplifier in Argentina and I had it shipped down directly from the company. I was very skeptical at first and plus I was about to buy an all Krell system with Sonus Faber speakers from my local dealer. However, after speaking to Daniel Khesin (I believe he is the DK in DK Design Group, although he was very humble about it) at DK Design Group I felt like the guys there were passionate and were also extremely knowledgeable about audio in general.

Daniel Khesin generously offered to send the unit on a 30 day trial so I can evaluate it at home without risk. Getting the unit through customs was fairly easy, in fact DHL came straight to my door and simply collected the duties right at my door, so I did not have to go anywhere. I also ordered a pair of Amperex 6922 tubes from a website on the internet.

I have to say that I am simply amazed by the sound of this amplifier. I took the amplifier to my dealer in Buenos Aires and this amplifier sounded better driving Sonus Faber speakers then Krell monoblocks that cost about US $12,000. This dealer was very astonished by this and he also contacted DK Design Group about becoming a dealer.

I don’t know how to speak the Audiophile language but I can say that this amplifier just makes music come alive in your room like no other component I have ever heard. The ergonomics are also outstanding, as this amplifier has a very nice modern look. The build quality is also exceptional and this piece weighs almost 50 kg!
A further report. The amp definitely likes its own power cord and is voiced around it. Secondly, I was shocked to discover the included 1m pair of DK interconnects out-did my 1 meter pair of Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects. A neighbor quickly concurred. It was not close. I am floored and have put the Quattro Fil IC's up for sale. Heretofore, with a CAT Ultimate MKII preamp and either the Cary 280MB V12i monoblocks or the Levinson 20.6 monoblocks, I set my Piega P-10 treble level control in the + position (N, + and - are the choices). That was to get treble detail. With the DK Design VS-1 MKII that detail comes thru easily and with better balance, all in the N position -- this too was a surprise. (The Piegas have ribbon tweeters and midranges.) I have since sold my CAT Preamp, the Cary monoblocks and the Levinson monoblocks. When I leave on my planned sailing trip, I'll just store this DK amp. I'll probably be buried with it. Another point. We all have good source material (a piano CD or a vocal CD or CDs of one or another label or such) that on one or another rig sounds especially good or pretty bad. This amp makes virually everything that is decently recorded sound good and very natural. That is quite a trick. So far this amp is breaking in beautifully and sounds very liquid, harmonically correct, quite neutral (w/ Siemens CCa's), has good frequency extension at both ends, is very grain free in the treble, has low end muscle where called for, is very relaxed and, quite importantly, can be listened to all day without fatigue. And for $3,000. Such a deal.
I had a very similar experience. The interconnects that were included with the amp were better then any other interconnect I tried, and I have a few lying around from AudioQuest, JPS Labs, Nordost, and Cardas. The DK interconnect was both fast, ultra detailed, and light like the Nordost, yet with a wider soundstage and better presence in the miderange. This internet is absolutely killer. I believe that DK is only including it with the amp for now as a promotion and then later it will be sold separately for hundreds of dollars. The fact that the company is including this cable for free with each amp is impressive, because I would say the interconnect alone is worth about $800.
Hi,I have had this monster for about three months and currently using dutch philips 6992 SQs.They are a superb sounding valves.I changed the interconnects from a Tom Evans Microgroove plus to the amp from the supplied ones to the Nordost Valhallahs,the clarity improved but the soundstage dropped.Iwas reccomended to try Blue Boys has any of you guys had experience of these.Not withstanding this a brilliant hybrid amp.