How good is phono stage in Musical Fidelity A300?

I am getting my analog setup up and running and was wondering about the phono stage in the MF A300 intergrated amp.

I have read a few different opinions indirectly about it and was wondering if a separate entry level dedicated phono stage would be a step up (Monolithic PS 1, etc).

I have a modded KAB Technics SL-1200 TT with a Dynavector 10 X 5 MC cartridge that is breaking in.

Sound is very good to my ears as it breaks in, but with my limited experience I do not have a lot to compare to.

I also may have somewhat of a cartridge matching issue with the MF A 300 and the Dyna.
I am using the MM setting which allegedly has 37 db gain and 47k ohm impedance and the Dyna is a 2.5 mv high output MC cartridge with suggested impedance of > 1000 ohms.
Seems a bit shy on driving the system and I have to turn up the volume quite a bit more than I am used to for the same sound levels.
Most people have said this is typical in analog versus CD players output and don't worry about it and this does not impact the quality of the sound.

I guess my main question is how good is the MF A 300 phono stage?
lkdog

Showing 4 responses by slate1

Well - here's the thing. What sounds good to me may sound like total crap to the next person. Obviously that's the case here because I find the A300 to be THE best value in a used integrated out there. The phono section is fantastic too - in my opinion. I got sucked into the trap and tried a Black Cube, and a CI-Audio before ditching them and going back to the, in my opinion, more involoving built in phono stage.

I am using a higher output MM though and would question using a MM under 3.5mv or a MC under .35mv with the A300.
Compared to the CI-Audio, the top end is more detailed and not as bright with the built in phono-section and the bass is tighter and more controlled. Don't misread me, the CI-Audio is a great sounding phono-stage and if I needed an external phono section, it's the one I would run.

I've been thinking of a MC myself - mostly the Audio-Technica OC9ML-II which has an output of .4mv and should drive the A300 without a problem. The main reasons I've stayed away from the much-praised Denon's is that their output is so low and they track so heavy. The AT only tracks at around 1.5g - I'm just nervous about tracking anything over 2g.
I actually found the noise floor to be lower using the built in phono-amp as well. The CI-Audio was quiet enough though and the difference wasn't huge. I often wondered if this was due to the added cabling necessary to run an external phono-amp.

I've used that calculator on KAB before too - it's great to have resources like that available. You're right - when playing around with buying MC's I've always found the low-output ones to calculate out better with the A300 than the high-output MC's. i.e. better to use a .25mv and the MC stage than a 2.5mv and the MM stage.

I would agree that you'd have to spend more than $500 to better the A300's built-in sound to a degree that it would be worth the expense. The one exception would be if you required more control over loading and gain.

Thanks for the compliment on the system - it's been a long running project finding equipment I really feel satisfied with and I'm on a fairly tight budget. I'm finally at a point though where I've stopped thinking about upgrading anything other than playing around with different cartridges - which is half the fun of vinyl!
I just ordered an Audio-Technica OC9ML/II from lpgear today. I've been wanting to try one out for a while - I'll let you know how it works with the A300.

Have Fun!