How good does my system have to be to realize an improvement with cables?

I've heard the difference power cables and interconnect cables in a highly resolving system so that's not the question.  $200 for cables  on a $500 DAC doesn't make sense to me.  Wouldn't that $200 be better spent on a better component?  At what point is an expensive cable the best choice?  Spending $500 on a $15,000 DAC does make sense as the transparency and resolution of the component could be better realized with a better signal / power source.

My question is what's the  percentage of the overall component's cost should be the cabling and at what point should it even be considered?

Or put a different way How would you know if your cables are your weakest link?

128x128danager

Showing 1 response by 1971gto455ho

If your cable is of sufficient size gauge and well put together your off and running. A percent figure based on the quality of your system (rule of thumb) is Total BS. Better components if you’ve cash to spare is the way to go. As said a million times build / set up your sound room as to compliment your system. Again having well made proper gauge cables should be the end game, that said PC’s will do Nothing to the tonality of your system !!

Cheers