How does one pick in this situation?

Not really any brick and mortar stores for audio in my area besides Best Buy. They don't carry much in the way of speakers and their audition room leaves a lot to be desired. The one or two others within driving distance have a few kef at one, and wharfdale at the other. Looking used, I found a local pair of Salk veracity HT2, and a Nola contender 3. So my choices seem pretty limited for a system. How do you choose a speaker if there isn't any place to hear a large variety, and what you can hear is all in different places on different equipment? I feel like m doomed to just keep repeating my failing attempts of trial and error.. help.

128x128labguy

Depending on budget. Sometimes you have to accept the adage of "don't let perfection get in the way of good".  I have found that if you can determine some of your basic needs such as budget, size and placement, reading reviews can point you in a direction. If you see a lot of consensus for one, its usually a good sign.

Find a dealer with a generous return policy and take the leap.

Go to a show like Pacific Audio Fest.

Both the Salk and Nola are very good speakers. You could make a good sounding system from either, and based on the picture of your system, either would be a big improvement

@llg98ljk could you give an example of what integrated amp you would pair for each one of those? Kurt curious how you'd match them each up. I was able to listen to the Salk, but not the Nola. The Salk had great clarity and low end extension from its transmission line design, but it still seemed a little bright or forward in the midrange without enough midbass punch. It was pointed out to me by others that the magnesium cones of the woofers are very revealing and some of my music that I listen to is poorly recorded which makes the music unlistenable on ultra revealing high quality speakers. So, the Salk may not be the best choice for my tastes in wide depression of music such as rock and industrial,etc. Just curious how you'd pair it up so I could learn how it's done, even though I don't think that speaker would work for my tastes in any situation even though it is high quality.

What pre/amp or integrated was driving the Salks?  I highly recommend you go back and listen to the Contenders as they will correct a lot of what you didn’t like about the Salks as it’s a very different sounding speaker and probably will be much more to your liking.  🤞🤞🤞.

@soix the Salk veracity were with an (made in England?) Onix-125 integrated, and I suspect they were in a room too small and too close to the wall. (It was the seller's second system). They are probably awesome speakers,  but I don't have a ton of room in my place either.  Although I could have spaced them farther apart , and my room is bigger than what i heard them in, I can't pull them too far into the room away from the wall or it blocks a doorway. The speakers were pretty big and at least 15" deep too. So it just seemed like it would be a less than perfect fit.