how do you ship?

i don't usually use (well, okay probably never) fedex, but a guy i just sold to wanted it fedex. so i took my preamp to kinko's to ship it and was told that fedex only insures up to $500? are you kidding me? i had this verified by fedex by phone. is this common knowledge? so how do you guys ship? i have always sent either usps or UPS and have never had a problem with either. as an aside, just last week i had some new Axiom HT speakers delivered to me. i watched as the fedex guy wheeled them up to the bottom of my stairs with a hand cart. then, as i am staring at him, PLOP goes my speakers face down on the sidewalk in their box. PLOP goes my speakers as he flips them end over end to the top of my 10 feet of stairs. luckily Axiom has great packaging so no harm done. but even from a customer service standpoint, WOW.
ratso1
Grant - I tried posting the same info yesterday but I guess you beat me to it. The caveat is that the link is to FedexExpress terms. I could not find anywhere in there which gives the terms for FedexGround and it is nearly impossible to find on the Ground website - I gave up. I think the best I could find was to consult the FedexGround terms of service, which I could not find a link to for lack of further trying. Here's some further input on the subject - just a random few from other chat sites complaining about FedexGround coverage, or lack thereof.

Some further input.

This thread echo's the $100 coverage limit.

More input supporting the same B.S.
UPS, no other. Fedex ground is danageous. Not only do they rough handle the packages, an insurance claim will never be paid if the item is damaged, especially if the item was not shipped in the original manufactuerers packing materials and boxes. UPS has insured values, not value declarations. UPS claims process is easy on your time. They pick up the item the next day and either pay the claim to the shipper, or ship the item back to the shipper at no cost to you. If you paid by PayPal they refund your money with UPS proof that the shipper got the item back. The one and only Fedex Ground claim I had took six month to get paid and it was for a $65 item.
again to clarify, i made it very clear i was sending 2nd day air from chicago to new york.
I must say that about five years ago I wrote off UPS. All they talk about is the "shock in their system" as an excuse for the damage they inflict. I have preferred to use FedEx Ground over even FedEx for the simple reason that my packages, even heavy amps, arrive undamaged. I get stuff shipped by FedEx Ground that looks like it has not ever been shipped.

I have had two badly damaged shipments through FedEx Ground. One was Room Lens that they literally destroyed, not that the shipping cartons are very good. They paid full value and returned the damage pieces to me not that I wanted them. The second was a Loricraft 501 turntable. It was shipped as Europeans can get away with packaging. They would only pay for repairs and Loricraft was very good in doing so.

Don't get me talking about having things packed in either UPS or FedEx stores. These minimum wage people are told find a big enough box, insert the item, and fill with peanuts–absolutely worthless!
Post removed