How do you know when a stereo sounds good?

When do you know your system is pleasing to listen to? How do you conclusively prove to yourself that your system sounds good to you? How do you determine that you enjoy listening to music through your stereo? Do you have a suite of measurements that removes all shadow of a doubt that you are getting good sound, sound that you enjoy? Please share.

128x128ted_denney

Very simple- it should sound real. There are times with great source material when my system sounds like I am at a live performance. Not only does the performance sound like it is in the room but my room is no longer my room but the space the recording was made in.

I too like it when a stereo’s sound field transcends the boundaries of my listening room. Tonal accuracy for me is not enough if the music sounds as if it’s coming out of the speakers, or with only a small envelope in between and perhaps slightly outside the speaker cabinets. My design criteria is always number one tonal accuracy, but number two is spatial accuracy and dynamics. I just can’t get excited about any system that throws a Lilliputian sound stage.

Yours in music,

Ted Denney III

Lead Designer/CEO Synergistic Research Inc.

When I can get both of my speakers to disapear, I’ll know I have it right. For some reason my right side is slightly louder than the left.

"How do you determine that you enjoy listening to music through your stereo?"

How do I know when I am enjoying anything? Let me start by checking my pulse to see if I'm alive.

​​​​​​​Geez, I am not a therapist.

@bishop148 - When you want to turn the volume up.

+1 - to paraphrase Jerry, if it sounds good it will sound better loud