How do you justify $125.00 for a new vinyl record

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks 180g 45RPM 2LP Box Set https://www.mofi.com/product-p/mfsl45ud1s-006.htm
now going for $200.00+

This record and many like it were cut from a digital copy of the analog master tape which means it has stereo + mono depth perception so a comparison to a 1st pressing with stereo + stereo depth perception will expose the truth about how inferior the sound quality is. Back in the 50’s,60’s,70’s vinyl was vinyl and that was that.Now you have a choice based on how much you are willing to spend as to how much the sound quality will suck. l can damn sure bet you that a digital download at 16/44 using an allpass filter to remove the dynamic compression for the loudness wars and then re-encoded with the 33 hertz frequency will blow the mofi vinyl away. 
guitarsam

Showing 2 responses by br3098

A lot of great answers above. When I read this I am reminded of a conversation I had in the early 1980s with a (since) departed friend. I was recently married and he had just completed grad school as a conductor.

My friend and I shared a love of some obscure classical music and he was urging me to purchase a couple of LPs a week at about $10 ea., although we had little spare cash available then.

So friend asks me "do you go out to eat?" Yes, but not often. "Do you spend more than $10 when you go out to eat?" Sure. "How long does the meal last?" I don't know, 45 minutes maybe. "An LP can provide up to 44 minutes of musical enjoyment that you can listen to again and again. A meal is enjoyed once and done. What's the better investment?"

I don't think we ate out once for the next couple of years. And BTW, I would probably never pay $125 for an album but I might make exception for something really rare and collectible.

You could purchase 2 pounds of Diane St. Clair butter for that (if they weren’t currently sold out).
@dekay I just looked this up. Would be f'ing hilarious if it weren't such a sad indictment of our times.