How do you high pass your main speakers?

I have been very happy with the distributed bass array I added to my system, but from what I hear, the optimum method of integration is to high pass the main speakers.

Two questions:

1. What are my options for accomplishing this? Does this need to be a feature built into my amplifier or is there another component that needs to be inserted in the chain. 

2. What crossover point would be ideal? What frequency and amount of rolloff would be best if my speakers are ATC SCM19's which have a frequency response of (-6dB) 54Hz-22kHz.

Cheers,

Tony

128x128tony1954

Showing 8 responses by tony1954

@12many 

Sorry, but the reality of the situation is that the 80kh crossover point was based on my previous speakers. I will be adjusting the crossover point to perhaps 65Hz and reassessing things.

@phusis 

Thanks for the response.

Actually my MiniDSP crossover is set to 80Hz for the subs so there would be a redundancy of frequencies from that 80Hz threshold and where the ATC's roll off around 54Hz. 

Perhaps it might be best to just tweak the crossover point a little bit lower to mitigate any spike between 54Hz and 80Hz.

@esarhaddon1 

"You seem to be saying that yo don't like your speakers or that yo know better than the engineers that designed them."

"OR maybe you really do have CR@PPY speakers. so what the heck, experiment away!"

"No one reding your post has any idea what yo are hearing so how can anyone hear make such a decision."

If ignorance is bliss, you must be one happy dude.

@esarhaddon1 

"Before you go complaining to management as some have in the past,"

Why am I not surprised.

@carlsbad2 

You are correct. The ATC don't go much below 55Hz, but I knew that before I bought them.

I agree 100% with your assessment. I just thought I would ask the question so I could see if there was something I was missing. I also used the speakers as the front speakers in a HT application via HT bypass so limiting there response is not ideal. 

All things considered I am very happy with the sound quality as the system is currently configured, so I am guessing I may just play around with a slightly lower crossover frequency for now.

@ddrave44 

Yeah. The more I think about my options and how they fit into my setup, the possible cost and how it will affect the sound quality, the more I think that tweaking the bass array crossover point seems the way to go.

Thanks for the feedback.

@carlsbad2 

Thanks Jerry.

I have come to that exact conclusion.

It's like cooking. Sometimes it is best to resist adding that extra teaspoon of salt.

Appreciate the common sense advice.

Tony