How do you add remote control to a preamp, here's how.

I purchased a new passive preamp on ebay (made in China) for little over a hundred dollars and.It looks very well built. There is absolutely no gain from input to output. The only thing in the signal path is an Alps volume pot and it is remote controlled. It has four quality inputs and one pair of outputs. I connected my sources to the passive preamp inputs and the pair of outputs to one of the inputs of the non remote preamp. Adjusted the volume halfway on the non-remote preamp. Wella, the remote now controls the volume and input selection via the passive preamp and it sounds marvelous.

phd

Ozzy62, I want to look into that one as well.

pennfootball71 if you want to make some extra cash, you could hold the knob and I'll turn the preamp. Or just get a remote and be done.

clio09, I never thought of putting the passive after the active preamp and then turning the volume wide open on the active preamp. I want to know if this could cause damage to any of the components involved.  Also, in this scenario what preamp do you connect the sources to, the active or passive preamp?

@phd You would connect the sources to the active preamp. Depending on how much gain your active preamp has you may not be able to run it with the volume control wide open. Best to start with the volume control at 10 o'clock, then see how much you need to turn up the switch on the passive to get to your normal listening level. Then incrementally increase the volume on the active and decrease it on the passive.

I run my actives into my passive. One preamp I can run wide open with no audible distortion and use the passive volume control. The other has a remote but has too much gain to run wide open without distortion. If I'm playing a complete album I run the passive wide open and set the level with the active preamp. But if I'm listening to a playlist with varying levels, I set the passive to about 2 o'clock which makes the active preamp less sensitive to volume changes and easier to set. Otherwise every click of the remote changes the volume too much.