How do I optimize J.River with quality sound card

I've been doing a bunch of reading on this site and it's been very informative. I'm trying to wade into the PC audio arena and I would like to do so initially on a small budget.

I currently have a two channel setup with a Rotel CD/integrated amp and Linn speakers. I do not have a stand alone DAC and I would like to set up my PC using a quality sound card initially. I read a good article in the Absolute Sound on the subject and the author used an Echo/Mia Midi soundcard and Foobar2000.

I purchased an Echo Gina sound card which has an internal PCI card with a breakout cable to an external box. The external box has a DAC and both analog and digital I/O connections.

After messing around with Foobar, I find the user interface a little lacking. I think J.River is easier to use and I would like to use that as my software.

So, the question is what steps must I take to use J.River and bypass the KMixer in WinXP. Most of the other posts on this subject reference setup with USB DACs. I may go that route one day, but not yet.

Thanks to all in advance. This is a great site.
bmdduck
I finally downloaded the MC 12 version. In the player output options, it shows direct sound and ASIO as choices. Since I have not downloaded any other drivers such as ASIO4ALL I assume that must be the driver that came with the Echo.

Also in the output options, when I choose that device it brings up several Echo GINA choices. Analog 1-2, 3-4, etc and digital outputs. The external box for this sound card has several analog outs (using it's internal DAC) and also digital outs. I assume this means simply which connection I plan to use and not what driver is being used. Does this sound correct?

I still need to get a 1/4 inch to RCA cable to connect the device to the stereo and load some music into the computer. After that I'll do some comparisons using different settings. It's been some effort getting this set up, but I'm getting pretty excited to get it going!
> By the way, can anyone define ASIO?

Developed by a company named Steinberg. Here a starting link for you

http://www.steinberg.de/329+M52087573ab0.html
Just a comment on Asio4all vs. direct sound. I was running my JRMC through a Scott Nixon usb dac using direct sound. Running it through Asio4all gave significant improvement.

Now using a Benchmark, which shows no difference when using Asio4all. I think because Benchmark has some sort of driver or other software built in, while the Scott Nixon uses the generic Windows Audio driver (in Control Panel the Nixon shows as a generic audio device, while the Benchmark is listed by name).

Not to dis the Nixon. Very musical. The Benchmark has more detail.
ASIO
Audio Stream input Output

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Stream_Input/Output
Jriver will run with some USB devices if the device is unmapped. This bypasses everything I believe. Other players such as WMP will not even recognize the device.

See:
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=40068.0

Steve N.
Empirical Audio