How bad is this?

Have enjoyed bullet proof, amazing performance from my First Sound Paramount SE preamp for years until a couple of weeks ago.  Heard a loud turn on thump when turning on amp (SA/1 monos) and then loud clicking/popping noise when turning left channel volume knob up or down.  Switched amp feeds and clicking/popping noise went to other speaker.  Finally, did a preamp feed to integrated with bypass (direct amp feed) and got the same clicking/popping noise.  Left channel of preamp still seems to play ok, but right channel is dead quiet when turning volume knob.  Would prefer to have this repaired locally (Atlanta area) if possible before boxing up and sending back to Emmanuel (think he is in California or New York).  Thanks for your time and help.

Mike    
dawkimi

Showing 3 responses by bob540

P.S.  Problem exists whether I play the tuner, sound from TV or the turntable.  
I got my problem fixed, again.  There must be a problem with the right speaker connect on my Parasound A21.  I checked and switched various speaker connections and finally got both speakers playing fine now.  I have checked connections before and the problem remained.  Don’t know quite what I need to do to permanently correct this, but I am glad the problem is not in the amp or pre-amp.
I have a recurring problem with my system:  The right channel plays hardly at all now.  I switched the cables between the pre-amp and amp, and the problem remains on the right speaker.  That would seem to indicate there is a problem with the connection to that right speaker, rather than with the right channel in the pre-amp or amp . . right?  But I checked the right speaker cable and the connections are secure.  And these are passive speakers, so there isn’t a amp in the speaker to go bad.  I’m stumped.