High-end amplifier clarification?

At what point do you consider an amplifier high-end? And, why? What is a good example of a non-high end amp that just misses being high-end? Also, what is an example of an amplifier that just makes it into your high-end rankings?
ska_man
The point of this thread I thought was all about what made an amplifier high end. To that regard, I hate to say it but its a simple fact that the intention of the designer is what fulfills this definition, not the actual sound produced! -Atmasphere,

LOL, Ralph, i guess that response will do..... I accept :)

The best speakers made are lower than 8 ohms and this is absolutely true for a SOTA speaker system, if low distortion and low dynamic compression is the goal.

I would not be interested in an amplifier that is not a true voltage source or at least close to, too much of a compromise to begin with IMO and i will agree that in itself does not make an amplifier hi-end, just not SOTA.

Maybe we should define a price point , i will give this ago, any SS Amp over 10K should be a voltage source amplfier IMO.

Betta ?

Regards,
Atmasphere,

Where can i find bench test results of your amplifiers? Most tubies have issues with a 20 hz square wave due to there trannies, so it would be interesting to see what yours look like without.

Do you post on your web site ? I last heard one of your amplifiers at Stereophile 94, we were on the same floor, so i guess a ton has been done since, well apart from the Hi-end renumeration... :)

Will you be in Atlanta ?

Regards,
might try that Nagra pyramid amp for it aerodynamics. Any idea what it weighs. Had tubes but I burned my face real bad when I got bumped at the lake.
I prefer to look at measurements, scopes, and articles (I don't understand ALL the technical stuff but, thankfully, there are a lot of real smart people that do) about amps instead of dealing with reproduction of sound by some lame "musician"...a high end amp is simply a better and more expensive thing than otherwise, and putting music through it can only cause ear damage and incite sometimes shouted "opinions" from less worthy so-called "other people", and that can only lead to strife and discomfort. Art? I mean really...who cares?