HiFi satisfaction and/ or Musical enjoyment

Have you ever asked yourself if these are the same or different objectives?

For me I had an epiphany after over 25 years of chasing perfection that enjoying music is different than owning the best hifi gear. This happened when I grabbed an a used Pathos integrated, BS Node and Forte IV for my second system in my open floor plan.

I found myself listening much more to my 2nd system and nowhere near as much in my dedicated treated room with a reference level system costing >25x the price of my downstairs system.

After I realized my behavior I began a self assessment:

A.) Lower expectations are more easy exceeded

B.) The system is less resolving therefore average to poor recordings are still enjoyable
C.) I listened to entire tracks or albums that I wanted to listen to vs what sounded the most impressive on my reference HiFi system. Damn it is nice to listen to the music that you love.

Does it matter how you become satisfied with audio reproduction or just that you get there?

For me it just matters that I am happy and if I can get there with modestly priced gear and in this economy be subject to far less of a depreciation hit… hey that is a win win.

Below are a few other things that I learned about “my” preferences

1.) I prefer high sensitivity large speakers due to their ability to create realism (no replacement for displacement)

2.) Paper cones over any exotic materials

3.) High tech cabinet materials are great but I have no issue with properly braced MDF or plywood

4.) Wide dispersion designs (look for Klippel data on a speaker that you are interested in and see the horizontal dispersion)

5.) Soundstage scale and tone take the cake for me… throw a huge stage due to #4 above and nail tone and we will call it a day

So what did I do about this Audio crisis of mine? Sold all of the HiFi gear and grabbed some Cornwall IVs and some used gear to drive them at a fully depreciated price. Are Cornwalls perfect? Nope. Is any speaker? Nope. Screw it I am now a man free from HiFi BS and listening to music.

xp200dr

I think it is great that he found a path to happiness.  I did not think it was really preaching to all of us and suggesting any other approach is wrong.  Although he did not specify what was in the dedicated room system, it might well be that he stumbled upon an entirely different sound with the likes of the Cornwall speakers. 

If one is not familiar with the sound of high efficiency speakers, like horn systems and wide-range driver systems, the sound can be a revelation.  There is a lot of life, energy, and micro-dynamics that many high end speakers don't deliver (they tend to sound more polite and drab).  Pair high efficiency speakers with low-powered tube amps and that steps things up a notch or two.  The sound of these kinds of speaker seem to grab your attention and make you want to listen longer without losing interest and focus.

Yes, the Cornwall does have some tonal balance issues and it is a little rough sounding, but, if you are in tune with its virtues, these issues can be forgiven.  I don't want to cause trouble for someone who is pleased with their purchase and thinks he is out of the rat race, but, there are plenty of other alternatives delivering this type of sound that I think are much better, but, many are considerably higher in price.  Cornwalls can be considered entry level in this world; don't go looking if you are afraid of stirring the beast in you.

As I stated on another thread.

The point of high fidelity is to be able to hear what the artist intended. Therefore, the dichotomy between “listening to music” and “listening to audio” is false. The latter is at the service of the former.

My “bad” recordings sound better on good audio. They may be bad but at least I am hearing with greater accuracy what was put into the grooves. It makes no sense to listen to bad recordings on a middling system, that simply compounds the problem.

These days I never listen to music as background. I have a dedicated room, and I dedicate time.

It seems to me that few people know how to listen anymore. I find that to be true when I have guests up to theaudioatticvinylsundays.com . Even though I insist that people turn off their cell phones AND put them in a basket, half of them are still fidgety, have to ask questions or otherwise talk when the music is on, etc.

Where did OP go?

He pulled up the anchor (which was a $200k system) and sailed away in his trolling boat.

@immatthewj it's always funny when someone writes and very 'tough" post and then disappears. This forum is therapy for some. (My doctor specifically warned me about the negative effects though)