Helping a friend put together a sub-$1000 system

She's looking for a 2-channel setup with CD as the only source. Speakers will be monitors for a Manhattan apartment.

She listens primarily to more subdued rock and acoustic stuff, with a good amount of jazz and classical music.

She's OK with buying used. I suggested she listen to a NAD C320BEE with Vandersteen speakers as per the recommendations in this thread:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1090290740&openfrom&1&4#1

$1000 is the limit. Any suggestions?
niravp
I would go with a used Music Hall CD25, used PSB Stratus Mini, and an NAD, Rotel, or entry-level Jolida integrated (used or new). Very high bang for the buck.

Good luck,

Michael
the vandersteen 1b/c's have a pretty small footprint, so I don't think that would be a real issue if they are going on the floor...if they are, don't forget...if you buy monitors you will also need stands...and then not only that, but most stands have spikes so you will then be spending another 50 bucks minimum for floor protectors if she has wood floors in her apt...If the spekers are going to be on a bookshelf or wall mounted...both of which will sacrifice some sound quality, be sure to look for a front ported design.

Ellery
Thanks all for the good advice. I'll get on the phone with her tomorrow afternoon. If she insists on having monitors (which I can understand), I'll have to give it some more thought.
The Epos sound real good with the NAD 320BEE - I put a system together for a friend with these. A good front ported speaker that went well with the BEE is the Linn Tukan, but you'd be lucky to get them for $400. The work well close to walls.
Looking at the kind of system one can build today for an affordable price.I try to look at what is out there for an affordable system that I could live with. There are a lot of options.
Another way to do it is to buy used,but get good speakers and electronics you can improve upon byhaving them modified.

Panny XR-50\JVC RF-X10 $250\$200
Ascend CBM-170 $328\Pr.
Pioneer 563A Universal DVDP $170
StereoVox Digital IC $80
Power Cord (Aftermarket) $60-100
NEAR OTA Hook-Up Cable $100 Front\RR\CC\IC
Add-Ons
Sub $200-500 New\Used
Phonostage Hagerman Coronet $50-$130

Powercords to chose from:
Bob Crump DIY
Cardas C7

That is a system I could easily live with.
--------------------

Affordable Speakers
KEF Coda 70
Paradigm Atoms
PSB Alpha
Ascend Acoustics
Aperion
Acoustic Energy
A\D\S
Axiom
Phase Tech
Celestion F-10