Help with upgrade bug...

First time posting.   I've had this fairly satisfying system for some time now and am looking at upgrading to a higher end set of speakers.  Looking for a wider, deeper stage and possibly more involving presentation.  Listen to a lot of female vocals and acoustic music -- using XRCD and SACD, primarily.   

Oppo BDP 105
Benchmark DAC3 HGC (headphone or occasional Ipod/Mac duties)
Plinius 9200 integrated
Totem Acoustic Forest
Kimber Hero/8TC and Shunyata power cords
Monster HTS3600

Room is about 15x11 feet.   8 ft ceiling.   Current speakers are along the shorter wall, about 2 feet out, 6 feet apart.   

Budget probably around $5k, give or take (used or new).   I've been somewhat partial to standmounts but would not be totally opposed to another set of floor standers.   The low end extension of my Forests are for the most part, enough for my ears with the music I listen to.   If I do get standmounts, I wouldn't be totally opposed to adding a sub later on (although integrating them would be a different discussion altogether).  

I've looked considerably at the Dynaudio Confidence C1 (Platinum), Contour 20 or Special 40 (given I've heard good things about Plinius and Dynaudio synergy).   I've also considered the Joseph Audio Pulsars.   Unfortunately, demo possibilities are limited.  

Thanks! 

128x128benj273

Showing 15 responses by benj273

jl352,592 posts05-29-2020 7:53amget rid of the Monster first...

Yes, I've thought about that too.   As far as future upgrades, it may happen.  

8:19amResist the urge to give extra credence to advice based on posting activity and cumulative word count.

You have excellent speakers and amplifier. 

Improving your source will offer you the most significant improvement.

Here’s what I would suggest you research: Modwright modification for Oppo 105.
http://modwright.com/modifications/oppo-bdp83-and-bdp83se-mod.php

Dan Wright does exceptional modifications for source components, and he has been doing it for nearly twenty years. He’s a pro. His mods make real world improvements.

I am a repeat customer of Dan’s. There’s no one better in the business, and your system would absolutely benefit by modifying your Oppo 105.

Interesting you mentioned this.  I've heard about this upgrade but didn't think much about it before.   Based on your experience, do you think the sonic improvements would translate to a much better staging/imaging/depth overall?  

jl352,594 posts05-29-2020 4:09pmthat Monster can degrade the sound of your very good electronics...I use similar Monster’s with my home theater and computer, so I’m not an anti-Monster guy...but your gear is too good...

Good thought.  I may give it a try and get a different conditioner.   I've been partial to Shunyata power conditioning products too.  Ah.. another dilemma... 
05-29-2020 3:58am$5k gives lots of options new, almost limitless used. Without listening it's tough to identify what's best for you.

On the other hand merely improving on the Totem Forests should not be too challenging, especially when it comes to scale.

In your place I'd look at designs which offer improved bandwidth, low cabinet noise (ie silent/disappearing), and a good measured response is no obvious weaknesses which might bug with time. There's also cosmetics to consider, as many designs are just plain ugly.

Why not have a look at used models from the solid Harbeth range, the advanced driver tech from ATC, or the impeccably measured speakers from Revel - and no doubt many more in addition to the highly fancied Pulsars?

Remember also that better sound might open up recordings in a way that you won't like. All of a sudden you'll hear recording effects, mixing desk/level sloppiness, instruments appearing from lower down in the mix etc etc. Favourite recordings will sound different, and your tastes might start to change taking you away from what you loved previously.

Great insight.  Yes, I've realized thru the years that upgrading components do change my appreciation of previous recordings.  I haven't thought about Harbeth or ATC much but I think there may be a dealer (at least for ATC) I can visit.   Any particular models you think would work? 

7:48am? For the OP what is driving the current 6’ apart placement???

Did you mean they should be further or closer together?  The width of the room is about 11 feet but it is my den/office, so mandatory bookshelves on either side and behind my listening position.    Furthermore, the room is rectangular but does have an alcove where the entry/door is -- the R channel Forest actually rear faces that alcove.    Overall, given these limitations, I've found this 6 ft distance, with no toe-in, the best as far as imaging/staging.  

b_limo1,417 posts05-29-2020 3:52pmDitch the monster, upgrade your outlets ($50 a piece), get a better power strip (maybe ps audio dectect) buy some room treatments from gik then decide.  You can do all this for $2,000.  If you still want to upgrade yoUr speakers, go from there!

Yes, looking at power conditioning and some budget tweaks sound pretty good too.   I've actually never looked at room treatments. Will have to do some more reading on this... 
5:19pmFirst try moving the speaker placement. I would try pulling them out 5 feet into the room just to see how that changes the sound. I am not one for power conditioning so I would take that out all together. The Benchmark is below average DAC, and the Plinius is average. Then play around with different speaker cables to see if you can hear a difference. I would not pay $2000 for room treatment. That's my opinion.

Yes, I've played with speaker placement a bit since originally posting this.  Keeping them about 8 feet apart now (max I can do with current furniture, etc) -- stage seems to be a bit wider.  Don't know how much more I can pull them out into the room though...  

To OP

What about the current system are you wanting to improve?

I've been wanting a wider stage with more depth (separation of instruments, etc).   Something more involving too.    That's not to say that I dislike the Forests, they are awesome speakers (that are a perfect match to the Plinius amp) thus the reason I've kept them for years.    I've also casually heard Dynaudios thru the years and have always been impressed with the staging.   Of course, after reading all these posts, I'm beginning to realize, swapping out the speakers may not necessarily be the first thing I need to do. 

As a former Plinius 9200 owner, please ensure the Plinius is plugged directly into a wall outlet with at least a 12 gauge power cable. The 9200 I had responded greatly after doing so. Mine for years was on a 14 gauge cable and surge protection unit. Sonically, a big mistake.

Non-believers will disagree. But your power and power management is the foundation of your sound system which sits on top of it, so to speak. So I completely agree, get Cardas or Shunyata wall outlets. Get a PS Audio Power Regenerator. Your Shunyata power cords should be ok as long as they are high current Venoms or above. As a bonus, you can look at Greenwave EMI filters.

Didn't think about this actually.   I'm beginning to re-think my power setup. Good points.  After a bit of reading, the power regenerator option is indeed intriguing (plus I can try if 30 days at home and always send it back).  

wturkey73 posts05-29-2020 7:24pmThe later model 9200 also has a set of balanced inputs. The Oppo should have a set of balanced outputs. If not being utilized, one may notice a sonic improvement from these I/O's.

Unfortunately, I have one of the earlier 9200 versions with no balanced inputs.   

05-29-2020 2:10pm
Based on your experience, do you think the sonic improvements would translate to a much better staging/imaging/depth overall?  

No question about it. Image clarity will improve substantially due to significantly lower noise floor. This will result in better image depth and size. Bass will deepen and be more controlled.

Great to hear.   I'm seriously going to consider this actually.   The TAS review on this "Truth modification" for the 105 was eye-opening.

I appreciate all the input so far. 

If this was your system, what would you upgrade first?  What would give you the biggest sonic improvements if you could do just one thing now? 

(Not listed according to preference)

1. Power setup (e.g. Get rid of Monster, PS Audio Power Regenerator, etc)
2. Upgrade CD (e.g. Modwright 105 modification or change altogether)
3. Upgrade speakers (e.g. Confidence C1)
4. Changes to room (e.g. speaker location, room treatments)

Thanks again! 
05-30-2020 12:25pmYou already enjoy totem, have you tried the totem winds. About 5k used. I have the winds and love them. If I didn't do the winds my second choice was paradigm persona 3f. I bought used from dealer and received full warranty.  

Good thought.  I may just start looking at the Winds too, doesn't seem like their footprint is that much bigger.  

05-30-2020 4:47amstart with the free stuff like plugging straight into the wall and working with speaker placement, I think you will find significant change from both. You will find no agreement here as to whether even new high quality power conditioners harm or help sound quality...

Yeah, good tip.   I've been playing with speaker placement since I started this thread.   Totems are now about 7+ feet apart, 16-20 inches from side wall and 3 feet from back wall.   Seems to image better and stage seems a bid wider.   I have yet to make some power changes.  Thanks. 

I don’t know if you can get the speakers 3 feet or more away from the front wall, but from the description of what you like to listen to, “Looking for a wider, deeper stage and possibly more involving presentation.  Listen to a lot of female vocals and acoustic music”, it might be worth your while to check out Magnepan - 1.7i or .7. Budget-wise you could probably squeeze in a nice pair of subwoofers too, if you’re so inclined.

I gave this suggestion much thought and felt that the Magnepans were likely too big for my space.  I did bite and got a REL T9i sub. I’d never used one before and although I’m sure my integration isn’t perfect yet, the increase in three dimensionality/depth, midrange clarity (especially in strings and vocals) as well as the low end extension — has made me a believer!   I’m considering a stereo pair now...