Help with streamer software

I ordered a PS Audio streamer, the AirLens, due here this week. PS Audio does not have an app for their streamer, and I am not interested in using Roon. I found a full-featured app called JPlay that works very well for streaming Qobuz to my current Lumin streamer.

My problem is that I listen to a lot of internet radio, and that is not supported by JPlay. TuneIn and other radio apps that I am aware of do not stream directly to higher-end devices. I know I can stream to my ipad and bump that over to the streamer but the quality problems are well known.

Does anyone know of a radio app for iOS that will stream directly to a higher-end DNLA / UPnP streamer? Or is there another way to solve this without getting into the Roon world?

Thanks in advance.

markmuse

Showing 3 responses by mahler123

My Cambridge Audio CXN 60 provides great support for Internet Radio.  I have 15 favorite stations in my presets.

If Internet Radio is a priority for the OP, then a lecture on sound quality probably isn’t relevant here. Obviously the OP has a good system and knows good sound, but the best we can do with IR is 320 bps, below CD resolution and stations that broadcast at that rate are relatively rare. And there a lot of reasons not to want to faff with Roon, which I won’t go into here; it’s enough that the OP stated he doesn’t want to go there.

One of the best IR presentations used to be iTunes. It was easy to choose by country and genre. I used it first when Apple computers were my streamers, and then secondly from Apple TV. Then Apple probably realized that they could monetize this and required people to use a subscription based service such as Tune In. However since Cambridge Audio can still offer excellent free IR via their app then this is eminently doable.

One of the simplest would be to have a PC in the system and send IR by Ethernet, using Tune In, which the OP has already stated he was amenable to using

OP

you could worse than just getting the CXN as an Internet Radio Tuner.  It also works really well with AirPlay and Chromecast, although it not possible, I think to Chromecast from an iPad, and you probably won’t be happy with AirPlay.  However, just streaming from the CXNinto your DAC is pretty good sound,and may obviate the need for something flashier