Help with a budget second system

I am looking to put together a budget system for my den. The room is 12x16. I am not sure whether to go solid state or tube. For solid state, I was considering the Audio Refinement, Cambridge Audio, or Creek integrated amps (prices ranging from $400-750). For tube, I have been investigating the Rogue 88, and Jolida 502B (prices between $750-1100). I wanted to try the new Magnapan MMG's but I am concerned that they may not produce enough bass. If I go with the Rogue, I was considering purchasing a decent CD with volume control to connect directly to the amp. Trying to stay below $2k, interconnects included, how would you proceed?
jklotch

Showing 1 response by mailman199

For what it's worth I have a pair of MMGs connected to Acurus electronics in my bedroom, and I think that the MMGs need a bigger room, to be out from the wall, and far apart. I think they are great speakers, just not in a small room. I'm sending mine back:-( Anyway, I'd look at Jolida integrated amps and either B&W (601 s2 not the 302), paradigm (Ref 20 or mini monitor), or NHT (Superones). These small speakers can tend to be bright (especially the B&Ws), but the tubes will make them sound silky smooth. For the source: If your into FM get a used Dynalab, McIntosh, or Dynaco FM-3; if your into CDs get a used Rega, Rotel(951/971). Throw in some cable and you should be set for $2000 (used). Well, that's my 2 cents. Carter P.s. I tried the Maggies with a Krell 300i, the Acurus stuff, and with NAD and they were just too big. Granted I am only about 9' feet away and could not get them far from the wall. (I don't want anyone to think I don't like them; they're just to much for the room (12'x15')).