Help this old rookie with speakers

Been reading a lot of the discussions and I am super impressed with the knowledge here.  

And a sage piece of wisdom that I got 40 years ago is "if you want to get your a$$ handed to you, try to be an expert in another man's field".

So...   I'm looking to put a new set of speakers in my living room.   I have an NAD 2400 amp. that I have owned for 30 years, and it has served me well powering my Boston Acoustics VR975 speakers

I've had an affinity for La Scala's for a long time, but I think they are a little big for this space.   So I was wondering if anyone had experience with the  Crites Speaker Type CS Style B.   They seem to be like  Cornwalls and a very good price.

Thanks!

tbick

My first "hi-end" system was horn based, not all that different from the Crites.  What a mistake.  Terrible on voices.  

What's an insane value right now is a pair of SEAS Thor speakers well-built from a Madisound kit that's for sale now on US Audiomart.  The drivers in this kit sell for about $2100 and the seller is asking only $750 for the pair.  He's of an advanced age and is moving to an assisted living facility and needs to unload them.

This design is *very* similar to the Joseph Audio Perspective 2 which retails for about $13,000.  If you're in the Southwest, it would be well worth it for you to make the trip.

Jbl 4309's...$2000...  I may be letting a brand new pair go. Walnut With Blue grills...

Listen to other brands like Harbeth, (which do voices as good as Martin Logan’s and other ESL brands as you might be able to find a pair of HL5+ for that price and will hear way more detail then with JBL etc there’s a reason many of the best reviewers use this brand themselves for their systems don’t be stuck with just a few brands branch out listen to some Maggys also or Martin Logan’s (just don’t get old stuff and enjoy the process of exploring new directions. Enjoy 😉 

I don’t know why you think La Scalas would be too big for a 20x30 room? That’s a large room and would accommodate a speaker even bigger than the La Scala.

With $3k I’d consider spending $2k on a pair of Altec Valencia and $1k on a nice set amp with 8-10 watts or so. This is assuming you’ve heard and like horn speakers of course.

Check out the Altec Valencia 846b. There’s almost always a pair or two on my local Craigslist so you’ll probably find the same. Some may need some TLC but they’re worth the investment - a timeless classic.

kokakolia

191 posts

Buy Klipsch or JBL if you can. The resale value is so high. You can buy a used pair of speakers, use them for 10 years and turn a tiny profit by re-selling them. The brand image is insanely high. Can you get better performance for a fraction of the price? 100%. But you'll lose money on the resale. 

I paid 4k for a pair of 2019 vintage LaScala IIs. I dare anyone here to find better performance for a fraction of that price.