HELP!!!! Newbie looking for a decent 2 channel power amp in the $1,000 range

I am trying find a decent 2 channel power amp to replace my Sonos Amp connected to Kef R3's and RSL Speedwoofer MKII.

I was considering the Emotiva TA2 but based on the comments/reviews here I beleive I could do better going 2X on price over the Emo and be open to a used unit.  I prefer  warm to neutral with detail sound profile.I'd also like an amp that is north of 100 WPC becuase my listening space is midsized (open floor plan approx 600 SF).

Thanks to all in advance!

balooo2

Showing 5 responses by jbuhl

Might consider a PS Audio S300 (class D).  You can pick those up for ~$1k used.    And +1 on The Rogue Suggestion and Parasound.

I have a Sonos Port that will serve as a pre amp....

If you get some extra $ and want to doll up the port check this out.  I upgraded a ZP90 many moons ago , still running strong and use it as a ROON endpoint on my HT setup. 

why not simply deploy a decent dac, recieve as intended updates from Sonos and be done with it? Yes the Sonos is limited to CD quality bit rate etc for... now.

I to run a ZP 90 into a Modi although not a W4S moded one. Every component in the chain makes a difference. This site is loaded with people talking about what noticeable SQ improvements you can get with upgraded digital source components. The W4S mod completely replaces the I2s bus and clocking mechanism. W4s is a respectable outfit with years of experience in Digital and Class D implementations. I don’t think they would risk reputation tarnish with fluff products. But the question is whether it makes a difference for you type of listening. I compared both unmoded and mod’d units and think it does, especially for extended listening sessions. Plenty of independent reviews out there as well. My Moded ZP90 has been in service going on 5 years.

I would speculate the Mod brings the Port up to the SQ of a Bluesound node but then you have the elegant bombproof SONOS interface. 

No S2 units. I have 3 ZPs and one of those is moded and on my HT setup. I picked up couple more off Craigs for cheap (garage and desktop) . I am ROON based so I dont even use the SONOS software, just use the ZPs as endpoints. My main system streamer (ROON endpoint) is a Bryston BDP Pi (Raspberry Pi commercial implementation). The BDP Pi are deprecated by Bryston but sound great and can be had for $600 used.

My understanding is ROON does not do that and pulls music from all your digital sources seamlessly (?)

Yeah Roon would display your local library integrated with your online streaming service.   I can't speak to that as my local file storage is attached to my Bryston Pi.  When I want to listen to those files I switch the Bryston from a Roon endpoint to its internal player (MPD), only takes seconds to do.  Someday I might get around to attaching the storage to the Sonic Transport that hosts the ROON server and indexing it there just to see what it it looks and sounds like.  I think the Brysto/MPD combination sounds a bit more open and lively than ROON.  ROON is fine for general listening.   I think the only limit to the number of tracks in ROON is hardware.  Lots of threads on it over on the ROON community site.