Help needed.

OK - I was originally going to purchase a C.J. Premier 18 Pre-Amp based on the suggestions of a local high end audio dealer. This Sunday - I brought back my test disks to listen and my purchase decision had changed drastically.

The Premier 18 sounded fabulous on the mids - warm and sweet. However, the highs were a little bright for my taste - almost harsh of Reference Recordings "Pomp and Pipes" The bass also seemed lacking quite a bit on Reference Recordings "Tutti" disk - Stravinski Fire Bird.

Next we moved on to a Krell KRC-3 - while the Bass was more present, it still didn't feel right. The highs were strident and ringy - especially on "Pomp and Pipes" and Wynton Marsalis - "Music for Baroque Trumpet" (a 24 bit recording).

However...we then hooked up a C.J. PV-14L and the magic started happening. The mids were warm and sweet - just the way I like them. But now the bass (esp. the Bass Drum slams in the Fire Bird) - felt penetrating (how the Tube CJ did this better than the Krell I don't know). The highs were also very nice - in fact this pre made me want to listen to more and more.

So my questions - what have you all heard about the CJ PV-14L? Am I making a mistake? Should I listen to other pre's before making the plunge into tubes? What should I know about tubes before making the plunge - as I have no 'tube' experience at all.

Any help from the group will be appreciated!

Erik
ndmaitre
Erik,

In all of this discussion, nobody has mentioned alternatives in the realm of tube preamps. Have you listened to VTL, Audible Illusions or the price champ Antique Sound Labs?

I find CJ over-rated and I used to sell it. Very good gear, just not reference to my ears. And unless they've changed their design philosophy, they tend to overdrive the tubes ensuring premature costly replacement.

Won't even discuss Krell here as they only anger me with their philosophy of design and marketing.

Everybody is right about trusting your ears. You are the only one who has to live with it. And no dealer is worth their salt if they won't allow you to borrow a demo of such an expensive item before purchase. Borrow that sucker!!
I concur with others, borrow it first and buy it if, and only if, it meets all your needs (price considering).

As for recommending others, I have a Hovland HP-100 and I am very happy with it. I have also read positive comments from very happy audiophiles with BAT tube equipment, a few about CAT as well, you may want to look into these as well.
Thanks first to all the advice you all have given.

I will be borrowing th PV-14L this weekend from the Audio Store to give it a whirl in my own system - although the set up at the store was the same as my own - with one difference I have B&W 803 Matrix II's and the store had N803's hooked up. I am looking forward towards some long listening!

I have heard/seen other tube pre's. The Audible Illusions Line 1 and 2 - can someone tell me why 2 volume controls??? The models I looked at also had no remote - yeah yeah I know but I want one.

I can honestly say the one set up I really could not stand was a Levinson set up. Also hooked up to some N803's - the sound never got out of the boxes - no matter how loud.

One thing I did want to know is...how often do you replace pre-amp tubes? and with what tubes do you replace them with - stock tubes or something else?

Again - thanks for all the help!

Erik
Erik: Sounds like a good dealer. I think the AI has two volume pots, one for each channel (like my Jadis) instead of a balance pot. Don't be embarassed about the remote, it certainly should factor into your thinking. As far as how long the tubes last, I think C-J should be able to tell you their estimate, which should give you a good idea, but I'd expect at least a couple of years from them. I've left my Jadis on almost continuously for the past year and a half with no great sound loss, although I use NOS Telefunkens, well known for their longevity and it's usually the powering up that wears tubes out more. I wouldn't worry about tube-rolling yet, particularly if you enjoy the sound of the preamp with its stock tubes. Live with it for a while, then when it's time to change tubes check the various threads here and on Audio Asylum regarding tubes, I'm sure there have been a lot of suggestions for the CJ preamps. I'm sure C-J will also keep its own pre-selected tubes available for purchase from them as well. Good luck!
Sean-

Excellent advice re: taking that specific unit rather than a "new one." Bravo!
IJ