Help - B&K AVR305 relays are "chattering"

I have a B&K AVR305 that I use as a processessor, and to power center, surround and rear surround speakers. Recently I heard some "chattering" inside the chassis. A call to tech support said that relays were responding to a drop in voltage (below 90 volts). We had an electrician come out and check the line (a dedicated line, I might add) and surprise, found no problem - obviously an intermitten condition.

I guess I need some kind of line conditioner or generator, but most of the affordable ones won't support the power demands of the B&K, let alone my Threshold T200 and Genesis sub amp for my Gen Vs. Anyone have a solution that doesn't require a second mortgage?

Thanks!

Jim
jwilt

Showing 1 response by seandtaylor99

Out of interest did the electrician check the line while your equipment was on and running, drawing current. Perhaps the equipment is drawing a large amount of current (maybe even due a fault in the equipment itself, which could be dangerous) and this is causing the voltage drop. The electrician should be able to measure the voltage at the B&K while it is running. This would prove for sure if it is low voltage causing the relays to operate, and if it is, whether the equipment loading is causing the low voltage.
I find it hard to believe that a HiFi can pull enough current to drop voltage, but it's worth eliminating that possibility (and the possibility that the voltage isn't low and the B&K is defective) before spending money which might not fix the problem.