Hegel H390 DAC

I hesitate to add yet another DAC related thread but I haven't seen this particular question asked before, so....

After owing an H390 for a year, I just got around to listening to it's onboard DAC. What?  Huh? Why? I was biased -- convinced I wouldn't like because it wasn't described by reviewers as overtly"warm", like my Aqua La Voce S2.

As someone who always advocates making buying decisions based on listening, I feel quite sheepish making this confession but as this is an audio forum, not group therapy, I'll move on to the main point.  

I was shocked to discover I actually prefer the Hegel's DAC to the Aqua. In my system, in my room, it is more transparent, smoother and more effortless. And, to my surprise, it conveys more emotion. 

The only downside is that the Hegel's DAC is somewhat leaner in the mids than I'd prefer.

Question: which outboard DACs have a similar but more fleshed-out sonic profile under 7K, new? 

stuartk

Showing 1 response by rick_n

OP has the same ear as me.  I agree that the AKM based Hegel DACs have a midrange dip, the H590 more so than the H390.  I think this is why the H390 is perceived as warmer.  I recently had the chance to A/B a H590 and new H600.

What I found was the new 600 DAC (ESS based I believe) has a much different presentation.  The H600 is much more focused and has a more tube like feel.  The vocals and especially instruments are more tightly concentrated.  This does have a cost, vs. the H590, the H600s sound stage is not as wide and not nearly as tall.  It seems that the H600 has sorted out the midrange dip.

If the OP likes the warmer sound maybe wait for the new Hegel DAC to trickle down into the H390?  Good thread, cheers