Hegel H390 DAC

I hesitate to add yet another DAC related thread but I haven't seen this particular question asked before, so....

After owing an H390 for a year, I just got around to listening to it's onboard DAC. What?  Huh? Why? I was biased -- convinced I wouldn't like because it wasn't described by reviewers as overtly"warm", like my Aqua La Voce S2.

As someone who always advocates making buying decisions based on listening, I feel quite sheepish making this confession but as this is an audio forum, not group therapy, I'll move on to the main point.  

I was shocked to discover I actually prefer the Hegel's DAC to the Aqua. In my system, in my room, it is more transparent, smoother and more effortless. And, to my surprise, it conveys more emotion. 

The only downside is that the Hegel's DAC is somewhat leaner in the mids than I'd prefer.

Question: which outboard DACs have a similar but more fleshed-out sonic profile under 7K, new? 

stuartk

Showing 3 responses by mm1tt77

T+A 200 though I have never heard it gets high, high marks from anyone that has any experience listening to one, great suggestion for the OP based on his criteria.  Any experience with the Preamp section in the 200, wondering if it’s on par with the DAC.

OP, I’ve tried a decent amount of DAC’s in my system, another poster mentioned this already, noise and power can have a big impact on your DAC’s performance.  Part of why the 390 is performing or sounding better in your set up could be it’s reducing the introduction of noise.  What you are hearing with your stand alone DAC lines up with what you often hear when you have some noise, jitter finding its way into the chain, and or noise from your power source.  If you want made in the USA, in your price range the new PS Audio MKii checks off the boxes for the sonic characteristics.  It’s detailed, non fatiguing, smooth but not overly warm like you find with some Tube stage DAC’s or R2R DAC’s.  Benchmark makes their gear in the US, they are definitely not known for being overly warm.  If you thought you where open to R2R and or Tube DAC’c, LTA just came out with their first in house DAC, they are made in the US and I’ve only heard really high praise for all their gear.  Bricasti gets high marks for their DAC’s and streamers, made in US, Chord another US option.  

If you can venture outside US, European made, Lumin, Aurilac, Aurender are all companies solely focusing on streaming and DAC’s.  Whether it’s a streamer, DAC or all in one box, really hard to beat but believe all 3 brands are made in Asia.

Good Luck, 

@markmuse curious Mark on what Lumin streamer you are using with the MKii.  I’m using a Lumin U2 mini with an SBooster.  Also wondering if you have found one output / input that has sounded better with the pairing.  I’ve been rolling with the AEs output / input based on PS Audio’s advice. 

@markmuse the SBooster is a power supply upgrade.  Upscale Audio and others carry them, easy upgrade and to my ears is well worth it.  Many say the upgrade brings the mini pretty close to the U2.  I had a D2 awhile back and found the SBooster was a worthy upgrade to that unit as well. 

I’ll have to research and then try a USB. 

Thanks,