Hegel H390 DAC

I hesitate to add yet another DAC related thread but I haven't seen this particular question asked before, so....

After owing an H390 for a year, I just got around to listening to it's onboard DAC. What?  Huh? Why? I was biased -- convinced I wouldn't like because it wasn't described by reviewers as overtly"warm", like my Aqua La Voce S2.

As someone who always advocates making buying decisions based on listening, I feel quite sheepish making this confession but as this is an audio forum, not group therapy, I'll move on to the main point.  

I was shocked to discover I actually prefer the Hegel's DAC to the Aqua. In my system, in my room, it is more transparent, smoother and more effortless. And, to my surprise, it conveys more emotion. 

The only downside is that the Hegel's DAC is somewhat leaner in the mids than I'd prefer.

Question: which outboard DACs have a similar but more fleshed-out sonic profile under 7K, new? 

stuartk

Showing 21 responses by audphile1

@stuartk you’re comparing a dedicated tube DAC to an integrated amp solid state onboard DAC. Most likely the Hegel DAC will sound leaner. What RCA cables are using from Aqua into Hegel? What power cord is on the Aqua? You might want to experiment with interconnects between Aqua and Hegel. Try XLRs, something more transparent than your current cables. I’m pretty sure Hegel has a nice DAC but not sure it would be an improvement over a dedicated DAC. You might also want to spend some more time with the Hegel integrated DAC before drawing any final. conclusions. 

I see you have Audio Art cables so scratch my question. But try something better and use XLR. Something like the Kimber KS1126 should open things up. 

I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing that up. I listened to la scala and it was tubes and sounded really nice. 
about staying with one brand of cable…it’s totally up to you but it isn’t necessarily always the best approach 

I wouldn’t expect an old cd player in the league of the jolida to beat a modern cd transport like the Jays CDT2MkIII. Better power supplies, better clock…it’s in a different category.

You really have few options to improve your sound, IMO -

1. Try XLR interconnects from DAC to Hegel (cheapest option). Get out of your full cable loom mindset and try what works best

2. Upgrade DAC - much bigger yield than cable upgrade but also more costly

As far as DACs are concerned, you have a lot of options but I would say look for $5,000 + retail price DACs. Figure out the sound signature you want and you can narrow down the list of candidates

Interesting. So you are planning on feeding a digital signal to Hegel then Hegel digital out to Aqua and XLR from Aqua to Hegel XLR in?

If I am not mistaking, the clock in Jays CDT2MkIII is supposed to be insanely good. The digital signal that comes out of that transport is as good as you can get for the money. You’re passing that to Hegel for its most likely subpar clock to pass it over to Aqua. I’m probably misunderstanding this but I’m struggling with the objective of this test. What problem are you trying to solve? What noise is there with Aqua??

If you don’t like the sound of Aqua, nothing will change it.

Got it. And thanks for that explanation!

So from my experience….I’ve had interconnects that caused fatigue. I’ve had power cords that caused fatigue as well. 
So in your case the root cause is the DAC or the cables that connect the dac to hegel or the power cord on the dac. Easy to troubleshoot. You’re on the right track and if you continue going thru this methodically you will nail the source. I’m curious what it is. Keep us posted

DH Labs should be good. See if you can borrow some power cords as well - rule out the power related issues 

Some recordings will have sibilance. However  how harsh and unnatural that sibilance is reproduced depends on your components, speakers and cables as well as the room acoustics. 

Do you have an old dvd player you can connect to aqua and run 24/7 or just get WiiM streamer on Amazon and run into aqua via toslink. Send that garbage back when you’re done. Lol

Thanks!

I wouldn’t rush to swap for pass. Hegel is good. Different but good.
Back to your findings…

UNBAL 2 RCA Output 2.4 V RMS
BALANCED (asymmetrical output) 2 XLR Output : 4.8V RMS

what you’re hearing is due to higher output via XLR outs of your dac and that gives your lower noise and the more weight you’re hearing in the presentation is your dac driving the amp better. I always use XLR where possible.
Rhodium plugs take more than 72 hours to burn in. Are they made by Furutech? I would connect some source to the dac that you can spin 24/7 for at least one week while your hegel amp is on but on mute at times you are not listening. don’t turn anything off let it run.
Power cords on dac and amp will be critical.

I just looked on the audio art site and it is furutech rhodium connectors. That’s going to be additional 200-225hrs. Forget 72hrs cooking. These plugs require around 300hrs. Run the system non stop. 

DVD spinning a CD on repeat into Aqua via coax or toslink. Leave that on 24/7.

Rule out the transport next. Connect your old dvd player to dac via coax or toslink. If sibilance persists, it’s the dac. Also, could be a recording. Is it every disc you play that you notice this? Or just certain disc(s). What are the songs? 

If the transport is the root cause of the sibilance, you have to try a few things. 
1. get at least 200hrs of play time on the Jays. Not just on time but playing and passing the signal thru

2. try different digital cables. Doesn’t have to be expensive but must be either 75ohm coax or 110ohm AES. Using regular balanced or rca cable can cause sonic degradation. The impedance of the cable is critical. 
3. Assuming the transport is broken in with at least 200hrs of play and you’re using proper  digital cables, and you tried stock and upgraded power cords, and your old dvd player isn’t exhibiting the same issue, you need to contact Jays Audio and discuss this situation. 

If the sibilance is just as nasty with the DVD player as transport into the Aqua but there’s no sibilance with hegel inbuilt dac, your dac is the issue. 

Let us know. 

@stuartk so you’ve pretty much narrowed it down to DAC. I wouldn’t worry about silver in digital cable. It won’t impact the sound the same way the silver in analog cables would.
My conclusion is your dac/amp/speakers combination is not very synergistic.
The DAC is emphasizing the sibilance and the amp is exacerbating it.

At this point no amount of vibration control, tweaks or cables will fix this issue. At best it would provide a temporary bandaid. Probably time to try a new DAC or a new amp. Room dampening might help as well if you can add some.

I never heard any difference in my system that was influenced by how close to each other the cables are or their geometric orientation in relation to each other. Never have I heard even a slightest difference in sound between a speaker cable that was coiled or stretched out.
I did one time mess up the sound pretty badly when I placed my active power conditioner directly behind the amplifier. That was interesting. 

@stuartk I had the PSM-156 and sold it. You can definitely try the Puritan. I highly doubt it’s your problem though. If you’re determined to make it work I would think that both the transport and the dac have to be looked at as a pairing or individually, given the fact that the Simaudio transport didn’t exhibit this sonic trait you’re trying to remediate. 

@stuartk that’s cool. Just enjoy the music and take your time in solving this puzzle. When you borrow a dac and a transport you will most likely figure out where the root cause is. It’s odd that the Simaudio transport with your Aqua DAC didn’t have the sibilance as pronounced as your Jays transport.

As to power conditioning…looking at the power supplies in the Aqua and Jays… unless you live in an apartment building in the city something like that lower end puritan is a waste of space and money. It may actually introduce other nuisance like power cord upgrades for it, restricted dynamics, etc. 
If you want to upgrade your power, run a dedicated line for your system. Cheaper and better.