Hegel H360 comparing to seperates?

I am considering scaling back from separates but I don't really want to compromise much in terms of sonics. I'm not concerned about owning audio jewelry. It appears that with Hegel one is paying more for engineering than flash. Anyone compared this new integrated to more expensive separates?

Showing 1 response by msommers

I just wanted to ad a response as I'm not sure if this may be a major problem with Hegel H360s or a very personal issue.

I have a Squeezebox Touch with a USB-out into my H360 to allow DSD playback as this is the only option. For awhile now I've thought vocals and highs didn't have much sparkle and seem rather veiled. Given this is a rather neutral amp with a warmer character, I kind of dismissed this and tried to get used to it. Until tonight when I came across your post, Jack.

There is a significant different between using a coax off the Squeezebox to the Hegel vs. using the USB. It's like I put a major upgrade in the chain somewhere.

Now I have to experiment if the Squeezebox USB just isn't very good (and technically was never designed to be used this way) or if it's the Hegel USB input. I'm going to try my laptop and a few cords I have to see if I can narrow things down with 24/192 and DSD formats of the same album.

If the Hegel USB input is to blame, this seems like a major problem for a near $6,000 unit where their highest source material that it is capable of accepting is compromised by sub-par hardware/workmanship.