Heavy duty amp stand, Sonic benefits?

Does an amplifier benefit from a sturdy well-built amplifier rack?

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a new amplifier rack. The one I have is kind of a light weight material made of plastic composite. I am looking at one rack that was made of steel and weighs about 100 pounds, name of the company is sound anchor. Looks like a nicely made amp.

I'm wondering how an amplifier benefits from resting on a Quality built rack or does it really matter?

emergingsoul

An Amplifier, which is to be used for trials on assessing how a Sub Plinth Material or Assembly of Materials effects the sonic, or ones perception of the quality of the sonic being produced. Is a relative easy experience to undertake and evaluation of multiple Sub Plinth Materials with differing footers between Support >Sub Plinth and Sub Plinth > Audio Device can be put in place in a very short time scale.

The ease of the exchanging materials leaves good scope to discover where a particular configuration of Support Structure changes ones perception about the sonic being produced. To experience this first hand in a variety of configurations for selected materials does not have to be too expensive. Initially only the footers need to be the items with a noticeable cost that might be off a concern.

A Stone, Wood, Metal or Composite Material such as Thermoplastic are all able to produce a sonic that is presenting a trait that is discernible. Add Footers to these materials and depending on Footer Type, further changes to the sonic are able to be produced that are discernible.

The differences how the changes of materials and configurations of a supporting structures assembly, will also show further, when a Valve Circuit is used, a SS circuit will show a change has occurred, for Valve Equipment the change can be profound, to the point it can almost be described as a new device has been added.

I have after many years of carrying out trials with supporting structures, in recent years arrived at the place that a Phenolic Resin Impregnated Densified Wood Board, is the material to aspire to. It offers exceptional properties when used for the role of a Sub Plinth and Footers. I have taken this material to be demo'd on a few systems now, used under TT's, Amp's (SS and Valve) and CD. I use AT 616 as Footers. This material, when in use never fails to bring something that is defined by a group of assessors as being an improvement or much improved. 

Bear in mind systems being subjected to a demo' already have good monies spent on designs for a support set up.

Densified Wood as a material does seem to be a material that is ubiquitous, where it properties will be exposed for their Value in all environments used. D'wood will produce a noticeable impact on a sonic in all environments used.   

To give an idea of where my present set up for a support structure for Power Amp's is, note: (the audio system is not in use due to preparing for a home renovation). My Amp's are seated on a 20" x 20" x 20" Cube, which is constructed from a lamination of a substance that has a purpose to control vibration in laboratories. It is used as a layer under the screed flooring,

On top of the Cubes which function as support piers, I have a 250Kg Granite Lintel, producing the Supporting Platform. The Granite has on top of it a few layers of different density foams. The Amp's are seated on the Top Layer of Foam without any Third Party Footers in use. On this structure the addition of footers had zero noticeable effect on the sound.

I have lifted the Amp's of the structure and put them on Concrete Floor covered in Carpet and on the same flooring on a Board with AT 616 Footers used. The Home Brew Support Structure is an experience where it seems a new Amp has been introduced.

I do believe that when D'Wood is Trialed at a later date, the Granite will be the material being superseded and possibly the Foam will be as well.         

@markmuse 

If you run out of stoppers, look at what these guys offer - platinum silicone in different shapes and sizes with adhesive backing.  The little sizes make nice replacement feet for peripheral items (i.e., power supplies, switches, and other digital doo-dads) and the big sizes can be used for anything up to subs and large speakers.  They provide spring-like isolation plus damping. 

@pindac I have to admit you have elevated this thread into the silly stratosphere.

"Densified Wood as a material does seem to be a material that is ubiquitous, where it properties will be exposed for their Value in all environments used. D'wood will produce a noticeable impact on a sonic in all environments used.  "

I don't know what all that gibberish means but here are two thoughts. A, you are also a proponent of "Precious Pebbles" and the " Telepathic Tweak" or B you intend to sell something to the rubes and are busy dazzling them with non verifiable unprovable BS.

@mahlman Thank You for your comments.

Once more a response to one of my posts, has enabled me to award another with the 'Donut of the Day Award', or in this case ' Dense-ified of the Day. Please read on.

I understand you might have had experiences that make you sceptical, especially when a not too commonly discussed subject is presented.

The content of my Post is to offer pointers to be considered. Once this route is taken there is other info to be discovered that will be educational.

The product being referred to, for having very attractive values is not limited to myself as an advocate for it being used.

The statement made by myself, is resulting from personal experiences had with such products, which is supported by this explanation.

" I have after many years of carrying out trials with supporting structures, in recent years arrived at the place that a Phenolic Resin Impregnated Densified Wood Board, is the material to aspire to. It offers exceptional properties when used for the role of a Sub Plinth and Footers. I have taken this material to be demo'd on a few systems now, used under TT's, Amp's (SS and Valve) and CD. I use AT 616 as Footers. This material, when in use never fails to bring something that is defined by a group of assessors as being an improvement or much improved. "

It is these experiences that enables myself to strongly suggest the material is ubiquitous, and will deliver a attractive contribution in different environments.

As for setting up some kind of sale opportunity. I very infrequently part with my collection of audio equipment. I have a couple of sales made over the past 20 Years, with the last one being approx' 5 years ago.

I don't aspire to make money from selling any type of Audio Equipment ot supporting Ancillaries, be they a Bona fide or Snake Oil Audio Item.

There are Web Sites showing the properties of D'wood through the application of Science and measuring instruments, especially how D'wood compares to 'go to' materials. I encourage this, but this sort of data is not of interest to all who witness it.

Maybe reading the Scientific Data, will be more useful, than spending time with my Layman's description, which is strongly influenced by experiences had. A forum member who is seemingly 'scratching their head',  when seeing the reference to D'wood, and it would appear has no knowledge of it being used for Audio Purposes, now feels qualified to share their assessment of my referencing the material as being Gibberish.

As a product Phenolic Resin Impregnated D'wood is used by some very High End Audio Device Producers. It is these who are capitalising on the use of it in relation to receiving a very healthy remuneration.

My experience of acquiring the material is through a Group Buy.

A Board of a dimension to suit a Sub Base or Plinth can be acquired for approx' £100 a Board using the Group Buy purchasing method, I have a selection of Boards, some are out on loan, some gifted to another, and others are on standby that are ranging in thicknesses from 25mm and up to 75mm.

I have other friends also using it in 10mm - 32mm Thickness and claiming very good results.

Alternatively I could go to the mainstream and purchase an identical material, of a almost identical dimension to one already owned for approx' £1000. 

@pindac 

I assume Panzerholz is one of the d’woods you are talking about.

There are some respected equipment designers using that material in chassis and equipment bases.  Here is some reading from one manufacturer.