Hearing Aids in 2023 .. Questions

My hearing has always been bad and audiologists have told me that they can’t help me. This is because I was born with a loud tinnitus. Now, any loud noise masks frequency bands that are needed to understand speech and I feel more like I’m listening under water. So, I’ve scheduled an appointment with an audiologist, but would like some advice.

Are there hearing aids that you want to wear when you listen to music. I’ve always considered them to provide a low quality audio path. Are there hearing aids that are better than others for listening to music?

vonhelmholtz

Showing 2 responses by wlutke

I have Signia brand for a year and a half.  They're not perfect or cheap but do have some great features.  They're app controlled meaning I can adjust volume (per ear), bass and treble.  There's also an AI that offers solutions for my approval and then applies them if I like what I hear.  

Their (optional, same app controlled) TV bluetooth dongle plays TV sound direct, no need for captions!  My iPhone plays direct too for music and conversation (dongle not needed) so another big plus there.

The downside? My audiologist advised that there is a feedback protection circuit that can sound like a "phone ringing" and I do hear it at times.  There's a cure and next visit I'll bring it up.  It may involve an upgrade, not sure.

I had prior reservations about hearing aids but no longer.  They add only what I cannot hear, everything else remains.  Mine are behind the ear with split "tulip" tips that are transparent to the lower frequencies.  It's a win-win for voice and music.  

@christian 

I’ve recalled more detail of the feedback conversation (Hey, I’m 69 and it was a year and 1/2 ago!)  The high frequency gain is borderline max and I may (now do) need a step up to more power.