Heard the B&W N804d3s ...

I've owned the original iteration of the N804s since I bought them new in '01. After 15 years, I thought perhaps it was time to upgrade to a newer model. So, I auditioned the new N804d3s at a local retailer. They sounded great, and are an improvement over the originals in the areas of bass slam and airiness. However, that step up to my ears is equivalent to about 10-15%. Not sure that that sort of improvement justifies the price ($9K for the d3s vs. $3,500 for the original N804s), although "upgradeitis" tempts me to pull the plug. Is it just me, or does the law of diminishing returns apply in this case? Your thoughts on this or the qualitiative differences between the old and new Nautilus lines would be most appreciated.

rlb61

Showing 7 responses by mb1audio

2 things to consider. First, to make a good comparison, you really need to listen to the new speakers in your room with your electronics. (Yes, I know that's not always convenient, but it is true.) Second, B&W's cost far exceeds the sound quality they deliver. Some of that has to do with how much they put into the appearance of the speaker. Its substantial. And I'm not saying its right or wrong, that's just how it is. For some customers, appearance is very important, and there's nothing wrong with B&W for making products that customers want. 

If you're more concerned with sound quality, and are willing to consider other brands, I know you can get something a lot better than what you have for far less than 9k.
" Mb1 audio ... to which speakers are you referring?"

I wasn't referring to any specific speaker. I don't know anything about your tastes, electronics, room, .... etc. Personally, I think Vandersteen makes the best speakers, but it would be wrong for me to just assume they're the best option for you. As it stands, you have a pair of speakers you already know and like. Its very easy to make a mistake in a situation like this. Maybe if you list more details and expectations, we can suggest some speakers for you to demo.

" As far as expectations, essentially I would like a bit more bass. I am happy with the speakers otherwise."

Try moving your speakers around a bit. 6 inches to 1 foot from where they are now. 

Also try listening to your system with the door(s) open. 
I didn't have time to get into this before, but there's a reason I asked you to listen to your system with the door open. A 9x10x8 room is very small, and is almost a cube. This poses some problems. The lower the frequency, the longer the sound wave. In order to hear low frequencies, the room has to be large enough for the wave to form. If the wave is longer than the room, it can't happen. A sub may be of no use to you.

I recommend you do another test. Set your system up temporarily in a larger room. If you get more bass, Its probably the room itself that's holding you back. 
" You should have spend more money on a subwoofer if I were you. I would buy a subwoofer with a ceramic/aluminium coating."

What sub did you have in mind? Not many speakers have drivers like that. I think Monitor Audio and possibly Avalon. 
" Given that the B&Ws have aluminum tweeters, I wanted to compensate for that by a different type of material. Hopefully, it will be fine."

It doesn't really work like that. Unless you somehow over power your main speakers with bass, you should hear little to no change in the highs. If you have an issue with your tweeters, deal with that directly.  
" The old aluminium tweeters of the Nautilus line you own can sound harsh. "

For me, listening to B&W aluminum tweeters is like cleaning your ears with an icepick. 

" Audio is not based on what you read in paid magazines, but is based on the results you get during shootouts and tests. They give you the real and True information you want and need."

I stopped reading reviews years ago. You really don't need them. I think most audiophiles are afraid to make a decision on their own. I understand, because a mistake can cost a lot of money, but if you take the time and learn to do it yourself, you get much better results.