Headphone amp?

I would like to add high quality headphones to my system, which consists of a Pass  Labs XA30.8 and XP-20 preamp, and SoundScience Music Vault plus speakers. Do I need a headset amp or is there some other way to use say, a pair of HD800s phones? I could in a pinch plug in to my CD player but I doubt it would be as good my amp/preamp. What would the cognoscenti suggest?

128x128j1b3h0

Showing 1 response by tds3371

You can occasionally find HD800s headphones used, but expect to pay ~$1200 for a complete boxed set in excellent condition.  I waited several months for the pair I recently purchased.

I run mine with a Quicksilver tube headphone amp and Moon Audio Black Dragon cables - a setup which, by audiophile standards, doesn't break the bank. For my listening tastes (mostly female vocals), I rarely take the volume knob past 10 o'clock. (If $$ were less of an issue, I would have looked closely at the Pass Labs HPA-1).

The 800s cans sound wonderful, though I find the HD600 series to be slightly more comfortable.  Still, it's a worthwhile trade-off.

As always, YMMV.

Good luck in your quest!