Have we lost civility and respect on Audio forums?

I think we have.  I have seen many discussion on audio forums and how nasty they can become when you have people disagreeing. Seems like there are a lot more know it alls now. I been in 20 years and I can still learn.  But I also know I know quite a bit. Like cables can enhance the sound and higher end well designed gear can truly be ear candy special.  Is this just on audio forums or the internet period. 

calvinj

Showing 5 responses by deep_333

“Dude, I came from a different engineering discipline (nothing to do with audio) where folks could die if we make a coupla innocent li’l mistakes. Hence, extreme levels of rigor was required and we couldn’t afford to do any kind of fake parade like you.”

wow you are so cool. I am in awe…

”In fact, i was hinting on some phenomena we’ve studied in another discipline for other applications (nothing do do with audio), which clearly should have some implication for audio. Some apparently celebrated speaker designers i’ve spoken to had never heard of it (got real glazy eyed when i brought it up).”

what you misidentified as a Doppler effect is wave interference. It’s about as basic as it gets. If there really are speaker designers that are unaware of it stay the hell away from their products. It’s pretty basic stuff in speaker design. It doesn’t just happen with sound in the ultrasonic range. Nor does it just happen with tones that are close in frequency. It’s an issue with multi-driver integration. The overlapping wave forms can do the same thing. It’s also something we live with, well most audiophiles live with because of the interaction between two speakers. It’s called comb filtering. Again this is audio 101. Jeez it used to be how people tuned guitars.

“I am guessing internet warrior Scott had never heard of it either. But, here he is, pretending to be the instantaneous expert.”

and you would be guessing wrong. I never claimed to be any kind of expert either. But if knowing about wave interactions where you set the bar…

Ah yes, indeed....Scott’s got Chat GPT and some AI support these days at his fingertips...He will do a ctrl C, ctrl V, paste some crap and there he will be on a forum, looking like an instantaneous genius for the poor old Audiogon crowd.

So, how do we catch Scott’s fake parade boys?

Hmmm, aha....i suppose we could ask him to develop a concurrent run CFD model feeding its output into a FEM tool for modeling some events in an acoustic chamber, for instance. We would like to study the damage susceptibility of some electronic components from vibration input derived from an acoustic envelope, typical of launch environments (in such a test chamber)..... Now, some masochistic aerospace PhD will cry all day, sweat blood for a year and come up with something. But, now... Scott’s bluff would get caught. Chat GPT would bail on Scott real quick there boys. 😁 bwaaahahahaha

Dealer joins audio forum. Pushes product. Tells users he’s right, and they are wrong. Gets push-back. Gets butt-hurt. Starts thread bitching about this situation.

i have I missed anything?

You got that right...He must be hurtin on sales because dudes are possibly fleeing after they get a whiff of his "personality". But, in his head, he’s still the ultimate victim (with his very sly "holier than thou" repeat portrayal on threads)... doesn’t yet seem to realize that he needs to re-examine himself a lot more.

It’s like informing someone who thinks they can see microwaves and x-rays that human vision is limited to red through violet wave lengths. It’s like telling someone who claims they can run 100 mph that no human can run faster than 23-25 mph. There is nothing extraordinary about your stereo or the stereos of other audiophiles or your hearing acuity or the hearing acuity of other audiophiles that is unknown, unresearched or magical. Human hearing thresholds are not mysterious unknown quantities.

It almost sounds like you're living with absolute certainty that we know everything there is to know. For example and let us assume that you can't hear 20khz or above. Now when you play a 21khz and 22khz simultaneously there is a possibility of a doppler pattern that occurs deriving a 1khz summing signal to your 1khz band, which you will definitely hear. It ain't all that straightforward dude..

There are various phenomena observed in nature for which we know how provide some type of empirical solution. We could simulate some other phenomena with physics models and so on, but, we can't always validate with measurements. We don't have the capability to measure everything or even know what to measure. There are very known limits to measurement instrumentation or even the design of certain types of experiments. There are all kinds of PhDs working 16 hour days because of the above mentioned. If they all take a pompous arrogant stance that "what they do not know shall not exist!", that would be very dumb.

Do you really think wave interference patterns that affect the sound in the audible range are a mystery that none of us ever knew about and are mysterious and unmeasurable? If ultra frequency sounds manifest a wave within the audible range we hear it, if it isn’t masked, and we can measure it. AND any basic cable will transmit it without any audible distortion.

Dude, I came from a different engineering discipline (nothing to do with audio) where folks could die if we make a coupla innocent li’l mistakes. Hence, extreme levels of rigor was required and we couldn’t afford to do any kind of fake parade like you. In fact, i was hinting on some phenomena we’ve studied in another discipline for other applications (nothing do do with audio), which clearly should have some implication for audio. Some apparently celebrated speaker designers i’ve spoken to had never heard of it (got real glazy eyed when i brought it up). I am guessing internet warrior Scott had never heard of it either. But, here he is, pretending to be the instantaneous expert.

going back to the early days of Bell Labs about 100 years ago to current times there has been a massive amount of research on what we hear and don’t hear. We know for example that the total distortion in a basic audio cable is so low that it’s hard to say for sure if what is being measured is actual distortion or just thermal noise. It’s around -140 db. We also know that no human being can come close to hearing any noise or distortion at -140 db. And there is no recording or source component either digital or analog that can produce a signal that doesn’t add at least 20-30 db of noise and distortion. Analog sources in particular aren’t anywhere near that. And we have numerous controlled tests that clearly demonstrate this inaudibility.

We also know, based on a large body of research that humans can not accurately compare an aural memory to real time sound. Not even close. And we know through other studies that it is a cause for humans, all humans, to misidentify differences in sound where none exist.

What is really dumb is to think that they continually miss real audible phenomena that is only detected by audiophiles under non controlled conditions.

Yeah whatever....There are clinically deaf musicians out there, i.e., deaf = can’t hear diddly...How would Scott explain that? Would he do a polka dance in front of them and write a dissertation about it?

There are naked monks living high up on some mountains in an eastern part of the world in sub-freezing temperatures where Scott , Bob and Bill could freeze to death in under 20 minutes. But, those monks live like that in those environments for years, decades... How would triple PhD Scott explain that? Would he stick a thermometer in a few places the sun has never seen, take a few measurements and write his 4th dissertation (just like that)? mmhmm, that’s what i thought.

Yo go Scott... Do another quick fake genius maneuver for the crowd again.

Don’t mind me though. I could give a ratsass if some audio nerd had a genuine revelation one day or not.

Our society has become this way for 2 main reasons imo. We have been trained by the media, both social and professional to personally fear and hate those that disagree with us. And, people have slowly lost core values in the name of progressive, moral relativism.  Combine the 2, add the internet, and boom, there you go. 

And enter nonoise. Like a moth to flame. Political leanings have nothing to do with views on moral relativism. The right simply acknowledges its existence.

It's all very simple actually...If any of ya had any conversations with your daddies and your grand daddies, it would become obvious how much worse than a piece of chicken the American workforce was treated back in the days. If one were to explore the culture of abuse that existed in the European continent (going further back) before the abused got on a boat and ran to America, it would become even more obvious how much the few in power luv to squeeze the rest endlessly to add more billions to their existing billions.

The rightwing has always had a strategic weapon...always blame it on the other race with a different 0.2mm thickness of skin pigment...it is always the other race's fault, never the good ol' boy (who looks like ya) who's the one squeezing you to death, whenever he's given the chance. And thus, the fools congregate and agree to removal of all the safety nets (hardfought and put in place by their progressive daddies and grand daddies)...And thus, the fools would recreate the hell from a 100 years ago in a heartbeat because their tribal selves fear the other race so much, whom they've also victimized endlessly/for most of their lives.