Has new music gone down the tubes?

The demand for "old" music grew 14% in the first half of 2022 while the demand for new music dropped 1.4%. In the streaming world "old" music represents 72% of the market. Why does new music seem to be so bad compared to old/classic music?

I go though youtube sometimes and kids post videos of the first time they hear classics like the beatles, bob dylan, whatever and inevitable jaws drop. The music companies keep rereleasing old albums in new formats. Is it because todays artists just can’t "git er done"?

U.S. Music Catalog vs. Current Consumption

kota1

Showing 2 responses by tony1954

It would be unfair to say that there is no good new music. Just as it would be unfair to say that all music from the 60's and 70's was worth listening to.

That being said, it is not a coincidence that most of what played on FM radio and streamed is older music.

The reason is simple. It is better music.

In general.

It is more emotionally engaging.

It has more to say about real life, love, and the human condition.

It has more dynamic range.

It is played my musicians playing actual instruments.

It has more variety. Less formulaic.

Case in point. The top albums of 1971. No two similar and all fabulous.

"Hunky Dory" David Bowie

"Led Zeppelin IV" Led Zeppelin

"Blue" Joni Mitchell

"Tapestry" Carole King

"What's Going On" Marvin Gaye

"Who's Next" The Who

"Sticky Fingers" Rolling Stones

"Meddle" Pink Floyd

"LA Woman" The Doors

"Fragile" Yes

"Ram" Paul McCartney

"Aqualung" Jethro Tull

"Live at the Fillmore East" Allman Brothers

"Santana III" Santana

"Every Picture Tells a Story" Rod Stewart

"Madman Across The Water" Elton John

"Songs of Love and Hate" Leonard Cohen

"Pearl" Janis Joplin

"There's a Riot Going On" Sly & The Family Stone

"Imagine" John Lennon

"Killer" Alice Cooper

"Master of Reality" Black Sabbath

This is just one year and it was all played on the radio.

It is a big reason why we are still listening and still buying gear and music.

@stuartk 

"It would be unfair to say that there is no good new music. Just as it would be unfair to say that all music from the 60’s and 70’s was worth listening to."

I'm 67 and I started with this sentence with the hope that readers would understand that I wasn't making a blanket statement about all modern music, but merely my opinion of music as a whole.

Obviously you missed that point and felt the need to reiterate my opinion in different words.

"Good music is good music, regardless of the decade and today’s good music amply displays all of the attributes you list above."