Has anyone tried making their own interconnects?

Hey guys,

I've posted a few threads lately asking about DACs and Class D amplifiers and such. My current system consists of a recently acquired Marsh P2000 pre amp, Aragon 2004 amp, Emotiva XDA-1 DAC, Squeezebox Touch and Silverline Minuet Supreme Plus speakers. I'm also running all Blue Jeans cabling.

I was listening to some Diana Krall last night and it really hit me that I'm pretty comfortable with the synergy that I have with my components. I really enjoy listening to my system.

So, I was wondering if maybe I could try just a little bit of tweaking, since I'm no longer feeling an urgent need to change any components.

My interest is in making my own interconnects. I really have no desire to spend even $100 on an interconnect, but I've found that it is possible to get some good silver or silver plated copper wire at very reasonable prices.

I have a good soldering station and am fairly proficient with a soldering iron, so I figured that I could try my hand at making my own.

Have any of you tried this? What were your results? Which connectors did you use?

Thanks.
tonyangel

Showing 1 response by jimc555

If you like MIT cables a lot of people don't know that you can buy DIY interconnect and speaker cable kits from MIT,
the interconnect kit comes with RCA connectors and a 3-pole articulation "chip" inside the RCA, you soldier them yourself (WBT silver soldier is highly recommended).
The cable is the correct impedance for interconnects which is not possible to make without proper test equipment.
Jim C.