Hard to sell my Klipsch Heritage Speakers for a possible Harbeth upgrade.

I have both Chorus 2s and Cornwall with Bob Crite upgrades.  I was contemplating selling my Chorus 2s and decided to hook them up - LFD integrated AMP with phono stage, Crimson Audio cables, Schitt DAC and Thorens TT.  I am amazed how well the Chorus 2's sound.  Long term I plan on selling both the Chorus 2s and Cornwalls to fund a Harbeth purchase.  However, when I hook up these speakers I get cold feet.  Can the Harbeths really sound that good?

I have friends over and they think I am crazy.  And I have to tend to agree.  I cannot find a music genre that doesn't sound good through these speakers. 

As far as what I like better?  Hard to say - some days it is the Cornwalls and others the Chorus 2s.
mindlessminion

Showing 1 response by volsfan846

Been a Klipsch fan since I bought my first pair of Heresy's back in college in 1978. Fantastic speakers you could drive with just about anything. Kept them until I traded for a pair of Forte's in 1988. Still have those. Also had a great home theater system with Cornwall's as the mains, a Heresy as center and my Forte's as surround. Talk about watching movies and feeling like you were there. Made the walls move. Since then I have moved 4 times and never really had a dedicated space for that kind of set up. Sold everything but my Forte's. Ended up with a small space and bought some fantastic Mirage Nanosat's and a sub. Still longing to get my Forte's back in the game. Finally moved again to a larger home with space and hooked up my Forte's as a 2.1 system with my TV and as a 2 channel music system. Had a nice Harmon Kardon receiver but it seemed no matter what I played or what source I listened to, it just didn't sound right. Brought two of the Nanosat's in and set them on top of the Forte's and I couldn't believe it, but they sounded better than the Forte's. No, they didn't have the bass response and they couldn't match the volume, but damn, they were so clear and clean on the top end. Put the Forte's in the garage and started looking for my new speakers. Ended up buying a used system by Salk Sound. I got 2 Veracity HT3s, an HT2 Center and a 15" subwoofer which is really a highly modified Rythmic Servo sub. The difference is night and day. I have the bass, I have clean and accurate mid range and those Raal ribbon tweeters are just great. Yes, I had to invest in better electronics as well since the Salk's are not very efficient, but to me, it was worth it. 

I said all of this to let you know, until you try something really different, you will never know what you really like. Some like the Klipsch sound. I know I did for a long time. But once I heard the Salk speakers in my home, I was blown away. Find a way to listen to some really different speakers and you will be able to tell what is best for you. I would suggest some KEF's, Focal, Revel and if you can find a place, demo some Salk's. Listen to as many different speakers as you can. You might find something you love or you might find you love your Klipsch's. Good luck to you!!